User Experience Researcher
Who we are:
AppFolio (NASDAQ: APPF) was founded by the team that built GoToMeeting, a market leading enterprise software solution. We have extensive experience in software development and continue to lead the way in providing our customers with user-friendly, intuitive, and innovative solutions. Our headquarters is in Santa Barbara with other key offices in Dallas and San Diego. To learn more about AppFolio and our values check out our profile on The Muse!
Why You’ll Love Working at AppFolio:
- Competitive pay
- Full benefits package
- 20 days of paid time off a year
- Amazing company culture and office environments
- Long-term career growth opportunity and mentorship
- Chance to be a part of a rapidly growing company in the SaaS industry
- Onsite fitness classes every day of the week
- Fully-stocked break room with food and drinks
- Ability to practice your skills at mini-putting greens, foosball and ping pong
- Team happy hours and events
- A new wardrobe of awesome t-shirts
- Extracurricular co-ed sports teams
User Experience (UX) Researcher
AppFolio is looking for a User Experience Researcher to join our fast paced, hungry team working to bring the power of well-designed SaaS products to a multitude of vertical industries.
The UX Researcher provides day-to-day team support for product development while also driving large strategic research projects. Research work includes generative, formative and evaluative studies. They are responsible for inspiring user-centered design through exposure to user insights and facilitation of collaborative design activities. A tireless advocate for the customer, this individual frames qualitative and quantitative behavioral data into compelling stories to establish user empathy on the team.
The ideal candidate will be an excellent communicator, knowledgeable and eager to apply Agile and Lean UX techniques, comfortable in a fast moving organization, excited to collaborate with Software Engineers, QA Engineers, UX Designers, and Product Managers to build revolutionary software solutions.
You will work with minimal direction to quickly deliver high-quality outputs. There will be overlapping projects, so you are good at multi-tasking, juggling competing priorities, and organizing yourself.
- Support and engage product development teams in user research activities during problem discovery, including facilitation of LeanUX-inspired activities that promote design thinking and alignment on the team.
- Work closely with product and design teams to identify research questions, build a research plan that will answer them, and communicate the insights to shape the user experiences of AppFolio Property Manager
- Conduct research that maps our users’ latent needs to new strategic initiatives and opportunities for product innovation.
- Translate qualitative and quantitative data into compelling stories to build enduring empathetic connections between AppFolio employees and our Customers
- Provide rich context for both product and research backlogs that helps inform prioritization and aligns with the overall business strategy
- Actively participate in the evolving UX team strategy, discovering and piloting new tools and resources that promote agile and lean methodologies
Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong technical aptitude, product common sense, and curiosity combined with a genuine love for products, people, and user experience
- Solid experience in gathering user and business data to inform and quantify a UX strategy
- Ability to identify and utilize the best method or mix of methods based on research questions, timeline and resourcing
- Proven ability to break complex customer requests down to the core problem and propose innovative solutions
- Knowledge of Agile UX and Lean UX methodologies and experience working in a highly collaborative, agile environment is a huge plus
- A fundamental knowledge of UX Design, best practices, and experience designing wireframes or prototypes for research validation
- Minimum of 3 years experience in user experience, research, or business analysis. BA in Human Factors, cognitive psychology, or related field is preferred
- Knowledge and experience with accounting software a plus
Please include a resume, cover letter, and link to an online portfolio in your application package.
Back to top