User Experience Design Lead
Who we are:
Over ten years ago, we launched AppFolio (NASDAQ: APPF) to revolutionize the way small and medium-sized businesses grow and compete. Today our software solutions serve the property management and legal industries. At the heart of our products and services is a talented and agile team that understands the importance of a 100% customer focus.
With offices in Santa Barbara, Dallas, and San Diego, our business is built for long term success fueled by happy, loyal customers and a team of AppFolians who contribute to our great culture every day.
To learn more about AppFolio and our company values check out our profile on The Muse!
- Competitive Compensation
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and a 401k Match
- Amazing company culture: focus on a complete lifestyle
- Recharge: 20 Days PTO + 9 Paid Holidays
- Built to last: Grow your career in an innovative, public company
- Make an impact: your work plays a key role in transforming our customers’ businesses
- Love your team members: co-workers are often friends too
- Offices stocked with healthy snacks, games, and goodies
- A commitment to health/wellness including onsite fitness classes
- Give back to your team and your community
AppFolio is looking for a User Experience Design Lead to join our our fast paced, hungry team working to bring the power of well-designed SaaS products to a multitude of vertical industries.
The UX Design Lead manages and mentors a small team of designers and is primarily responsible for leading the direction of a holistic product experience across several small, cross functional teams. An evangelist for user-centered design, this individual has a unique talent and passion for translating complex tasks into simple interactions, driving ease of use as our key competitive advantage.
The ideal candidate will thrive in a highly collaborative environment, eager to apply Agile and Lean UX techniques while working alongside Software Engineers, QA Engineers, and Product Managers to build revolutionary software solutions.
- Manage and mentor a team of 2-3 UX designers
- Collaborate with Engineering and Product Management, together with the rest of the UX Team, to ensure a consistent user experience across complex workflows being worked on individually by many small, fast-moving, cross-functional teams
- Participate in executing on a comprehensive Design Strategy, and work towards meeting usability benchmarks and KPIs
- Collaborate with Product Management on roadmap and strategy, working as a tireless advocate for the end user and helping to balance those needs with those of the business
- Meet complex design challenges by participating alongside engineering, QA and product in LeanUX-inspired activities such as design studios, provisional personas and storymapping
- Ongoing, close collaboration with team members during the sprint including impromptu discussions and brainstorming actives as well as pairing with engineers on design
- Support designers and teams as needed with wireframes, flow diagrams, rapid prototypes and visual design to help communicate and validate design ideas
- Facilitate user research, in collaboration with the team, to validate prototypes and conduct ongoing usability testing of the working software
- Evangelize a cohesive user experience via the consistent use of UI patterns
- Inspire teams beyond good usability to user delight by promoting beautiful, cutting-edge visual design
Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong technical aptitude, product common sense, and curiosity combined with a genuine love for products, people, and user experience
- A cutting edge portfolio of software design that demonstrates outstanding interaction design skills across multiple devices as well as a thorough understanding of graphic design, page layout and typography.
- Experience with a variety of UX deliverables (wireframes, user flows, mockups, prototypes, etc.), but with a keen sense of when to choose the right tool(s) to communicate the design.
- Knowledge of Agile UX and Lean UX methodologies and experience working in a highly collaborative, agile environment is a huge plus
- Advanced proficiency with design and prototyping tools such as Adobe Creative Suite, OmniGraffle, Axure, etc
- Intermediate to advanced understanding of HTML/CSS, with direct experience optimizing design concepts around these technologies
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in user experience focused role with demonstrated experience in a manager or mentorship role
- Knowledge and experience with accounting software a plus
Back to top