Sr. User Experience Designer - MyCase
MyCase is looking for a User Experience Designer to join our San Diego Product and Design team. This talented individual will delight customers by innovating new features, prototyping and validating solutions and improving usability for existing functionality. An evangelist for user-centered design, this person has a passion for gathering deep customer insights and translating complex tasks into simple interactions.
The ideal candidate will thrive in a highly collaborative environment and is eager to apply Agile and Lean UX techniques while working alongside Software Engineers and Product Managers to build the industry-leading legal practice management solution.
Is This You? (aka characteristics of an ideal candidate)
- PASSION FOR DESIGN - You geek out on design blogs, love staying current with design trends and can’t help but consider the design of nearly everything you see. You take pleasure in seeing things designed thoughtfully and beautifully and advocate for the importance of great design in all your projects.
- CREATIVE PROBLEM SOLVING - You are a problem solver by nature and aren’t happy with a status-quo solution. You understand that designing something “simple” is actually quite difficult, and arriving at an “obvious” solution isn’t a linear path--it’s a process that requires exploration informed by research and testing, critical thinking and a willingness to be wrong.
- COMMUNICATION - You proactively think about who the audience is for your message and what specifically you want them to take away from the interaction, then decide the best approach to achieve that goal. Your communication inspires and motivates those around you and often gets them to think differently about something than they did before.
- EMPATHY - You don’t just see and understand what’s happening, you can FEEL the frustration or disappointment (or delight!) of your customers as if it were your own. You genuinely listen--to customers, to prospects, to co-workers. You don’t just wait for your turn to speak but actively seek to understand what’s being said and the “whys” behind it.
- INITIATIVE - You don’t sit around waiting for someone to tell you what to do. You identify problems that need to be solved and take action without waiting for “permission.”
- FLEXIBILITY - You always know what’s most important to get done–today, this week, this month, etc.–but are also be adaptable to new information that may require you to change course.
- INTELLECTUAL CURIOSITY - You have a hunger for learning and sharing ideas with those around you. You are the go-to source for cool and relevant books, blogs, podcasts and webinars. You make your co-workers feel smarter when they interact with you.
- TEAM PLAYER - You exemplify this often overused phrase because you sincerely recognize that you are part of many teams that will succeed or fail together. You look for ways to put the success of the team ahead of any personal recognition. You are willing to roll up your sleeves and do whatever needs to be done to make progress. You have never been heard saying “That’s not my job.”
Responsibilities - On a day-to-day basis, you will:
- Create visual designs, sketch concepts, create wireframes, flow diagrams and prototypes to create an inspired and user-centered experience
- Conduct user research to inform and validate concepts or prototypes and conduct ongoing usability testing of the working software
- Be the voice and advocate of the customer, constantly gathering and sharing data and insights with the team to communicate customer needs
- Contribute to the overall product strategy and roadmap
- Use data to make informed and testable design decisions
- Advocate UX best practices within the organization to foster design thinking; actively participate in the evolving UX team strategy, discovering and piloting new tools and resources that promote agile and lean methodologies
- Lead or participate in Lean UX-inspired activities such as design studios and story mapping sessions with engineering, QA and product teams
Skills & Knowledge - You will be a great fit for this role if you have:
- A cutting edge portfolio that demonstrates outstanding visual and interaction design across a variety of devices
- Advanced proficiency with design and prototyping tools such as Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Sketch, InVision, Axure, etc.
- Experience making data-driven decisions with user analytics tools like Google Analytics, Mixpanel, KISSMetrics, HotJar, Pendo, Optimizely
- Experience creating and presenting a variety of UX deliverables including wireframes, user flows, mockups, prototypes, etc.
- Experience creating, recruiting for and running users tests
- Experience working in a highly collaborative, agile environment
- A thorough understanding of responsive design
- Intermediate understanding of HTML/CSS, with direct experience optimizing design concepts around these technologies
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in user experience or interactive visual design; BA in a design or digital media is preferred
- Knowledge and experience with the legal industry, SaaS or practice management solutions a plus
Above all, we are looking for entrepreneurial individuals who are passionate about building great products. We value quality of experience over quantity of experience.
What’s in it for you:
- Competitive Pay
- Full Benefits
- 20 PTO Days
- Amazing company culture
- Room to grow and lead as the business/company grows
- A fully stocked break room with all kinds of snacks and goodies
- Being a part of a rapidly growing startup SaaS company
In addition to competitive pay, benefits & perks this role offers...
- An ability to have a direct and visible impact on the organization. You won’t be just another face in the crowd.
- An intellectually stimulating, highly-collaborative, casual, and friendly work environment.
- The entrepreneurial feel of a start-up with the resources and stability of a public company.
AppFolio (NASDAQ APPF) creates complete, easy-to-use, cloud-based software for multiple vertical markets. The company was founded by a team of technology leaders with many years of experience developing applications that are built for small and medium sized businesses, including what is now Citrix GoToMyPC and GoToMeeting—two award winning cloud-based collaboration solutions. At the heart of our products and services is a talented and agile team that understands the importance of listening to our customers to provide solutions that meet and anticipate their needs. As a result, our rapid growth continues to be fueled by very happy and loyal customers. Our current product lineup includes cloud-based property management software (AppFolio Property Manager); rental syndication and lead tracking software (Rentlinx); and cloud-based legal practice management software (MyCase).
Back to top