Principal Software Engineer
Who we are:
Over ten years ago, we launched AppFolio(NASDAQ: APPF) to revolutionize the way small and medium-sized businesses grow and compete. Today our software solutions serve the property management and legal industries. At the heart of our products and services is a talented and agile team that understands the importance of a 100% customer focus.
With offices in Santa Barbara, Dallas, and San Diego, our business is built for long term success fueled by happy, loyal customers and a team of AppFolians who contribute to our great culture every day.
- Competitive Compensation
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and a 401k Match
- Amazing company culture: focus on a complete lifestyle
- Recharge: 20 Days PTO + 9 Paid Holidays
- Built to last: Grow your career in an innovative, public company
- Make an impact: your work plays a key role in transforming our customers’ businesses
- Love your team members: co-workers are often friends too
- Offices stocked with healthy snacks, games, and goodies
- A commitment to health/wellness including onsite fitness classes
- Give back to your team and your community
Who we are looking for:
We are hiring a Full Stack Principal Software Engineer to contribute to our rapid product development pace. We work collaboratively to set the technical direction for our SaaS products, developing easy-to-use solutions for our customers. Our engineers find a deep satisfaction in building things that customers actually need. We focus on delivering value to customers and understand that this often means delivering code that isn't perfect, but meets customer needs.
This is an ideal opportunity for someone who has a passion for building leading edge software and is driven to help build a successful SaaS product used by thousands of happy businesses. We foster an environment that empowers small teams to collaboratively set the technical direction of our solutions.
This opening is on our AppFolio Property Manager product development team.
- Develop scalable, robust, and simple web-based solutions to solve complex business problems
- Formulate, implement, and evaluate algorithms and database queries to support SaaS scalability and stability.
- Implement new features and optimize existing ones to drive maximum performance
- Use test-driven development, code reviews and continuous integration to deliver high quality software, and rapidly fix bugs as they come up.
- Work closely with, and incorporate feedback from other engineering team members, QA, and product owners, and our APM customers
- Leveraging agile practices, encourage collaboration, prioritization, and urgency to develop at a rapid pace
- Research, share, and recommend new technologies and trends
You know you’re the right fit if…
- You love learning about new technologies, but understand the value of continuing to use something old if it still does everything you need it to do.
- You care about the long-term maintainability of the codebase and will learn to advocate for refactoring and clean-ups where appropriate.
- You care about work life balance and want your company to care about it to; you'll put in the extra hour when needed but won't let it become a habit.
Additional Skills and Knowledge:
- BS, MS, or Ph.D in Computer Science or related technical discipline
- Hands-on work/internship experience developing web-based applications, preferably in a SaaS environment
- Creativity, ability to solve complex problems without a roadmap
- 7-10+ years work experience developing web-based applications, preferably in a SaaS environment
- 5+ years web development experience with proficiency in a modern programming language (e.g. Ruby on Rails, Java)
Nice to Have:
- Experience working across all levels of the development stack
- Experience with some areas of our tech like Ruby on Rails, React, Redux, AWS, SOA
- Familiarity with Agile software development processes: Scrum or Kanban
- Familiarity with Test-Driven-Development
If you are interested in creating exceptional SaaS products, and contributing to a successful company, apply today!
We gladly accept applicants who meet only a few of these requirements. If AppFolio sounds like a place you'd fit, we’d love to hear from you. Talented engineers come from varied experience backgrounds!
Meet Some of AppFolio's Employees
Software Engineering Director
Damon’s main goal is to create a great engineering culture at AppFolio. He’s responsible for providing teams with the tools they need to build an amazing product.
Back to top