Who we are:
Over ten years ago, we launched AppFolio (NASDAQ: APPF) to revolutionize the way small and medium-sized businesses grow and compete. Today our software solutions serve the property management and legal industries. At the heart of our products and services is a talented and agile team that understands the importance of a 100% customer focus.
With offices in Santa Barbara, Dallas, and San Diego, our business is built for long term success fueled by happy, loyal customers and a team of AppFolians who contribute to our great culture every day.
To learn more about AppFolio and our company values check out our profile on The Muse!
- Competitive Compensation
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and a 401k Match
- Amazing company culture: focus on a complete lifestyle
- Recharge: 20 Days PTO + 9 Paid Holidays
- Built to last: Grow your career in an innovative, public company
- Make an impact: your work plays a key role in transforming our customers’ businesses
- Love your team members: co-workers are often friends too
- Offices stocked with healthy snacks, games, and goodies
- A commitment to health/wellness including onsite fitness classes
- Give back to your team and your community
Who we are looking for:
AppFolio is looking for an Internal Auditor who will be responsible for assisting with the development and execution of the internal controls program at AppFolio, Inc. to keep pace and scale with the growth of the company. As part of the broader Finance Team at AppFolio, this position will assist in the development, planning, and execution of audits in our businesses and will develop recommendations to improve/enhance the internal control environment.
This role will be based in our Santa Barbara, CA office location and will report to the Director, Internal Audit.
The skills necessary to succeed in this role include strong organization skills, audit expertise, effective communication and ability to conduct audits independently. Most importantly, the ideal candidate will have the ability to collaborate and partner with a diverse group of stakeholders while producing high quality deliverables.
- Plan and execute audits. This includes identifying and researching applicable operational/technical issues, identifying risks, developing test plans and executing audit procedures which include testing and documenting test results.
- Assess the design and operating effectiveness of AppFolio’s internal control environment by performing walkthroughs, updating or creating process flowcharts, determining whether the internal controls identified are key versus non-key controls, testing of internal controls and documenting the results.
- Maintain AppFolio’s Risk Control Matrices (RCMs) and review at a minimum annually to ensure the RCM properly reflects the control environment.
- Execute tests of operating effectiveness for both IT and business process controls, performing root cause and impact analysis for findings, validating findings with process owners and proposing recommendations, reporting findings to management, and assisting with monitoring of management’s remediation activities.
- Assist with requests from the Company’s external auditors as it relates to AppFolio’s internal control environment and coordination of annual walk-throughs with AppFolio’s internal control owners.
- Design, implement, and monitor internal controls around spreadsheet, documents and report testing used to support financial reporting.
- Track and manage status of quarterly testing of AppFolio’s internal controls against audit timelines and schedules.
- Draft formal reports to management outlining scope, objectives, procedures performed and recommendations, in accordance with established reporting guidelines for the Director, Internal Audit review.
- Routinely inform Director, Internal Audit of activities and any problems noted within audit areas so that the information can be relayed to management and the CFO in a timely manner.
- Participate in other ad-hoc SOX, Internal Audit and special projects as required.
- Continuously work to enhance the SOX program to become more efficient and effective.
- Keep up to date on industry and business trends significant to the profession and to the organization.
Nice to Have:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Can easily adapt between working independently or collaboratively on a team, with various stakeholders and outsourced audit teams, and on unstructured projects.
- Intensely curious person who wants to know the what, where, when, how, and most importantly why our processes work the way they do.
- Risk-minded person who can see what could go wrong in a process and work with stakeholders to tie the risk to an activity or to call out a gap.
- Able to translate what you learn from the internal control owners to stakeholders and partner with them to resolve issues, advise them, provide solutions and work with all of the stakeholders to seamlessly implement process changes in an efficient and effective manner.
- Highly organized and able to manage time, tasks, and deliverables.
- Demonstrated collaboration and teamwork skills coupled with ability to conduct audits and interact with management independently
- Detail oriented and well organized
- High standard of ethics and professionalism
- Ability to analyze complex processes to identify potential financial, operational, systems and compliance risks.
- Must be able to complete assignments on a timely basis within budget and deadline.
You know you're the right fit if...
Skills and Knowledge
- BA/BS Degree in Accounting or Information Technology or equivalent
- 3-5 years of related of experience with a public accounting firm or a public company’s internal audit or SOX department. A mix of operational, financial and IT audit experience preferred; Big 4 experience a plus.
- Certified Public Accountant, Certified Internal Auditor and/or Certified Information Systems Auditor preferred.
- Experience with SOX readiness reviews or implementation of internal controls for a company who recently went through an IPO and is in the process of implementing SOX 404, strongly desired.
- Knowledge of business and IT processes and how they intersect with financial transactions.
- Working technical knowledge of US GAAP, SEC reporting requirements, COSO, COBIT, SOX requirements, including PCAOB Auditing Standard No. 5, IIA standards and audit processes and procedures.
- Public accounting and/or start-up experience, a plus.
- Technology industry experience, a plus.
- Excellent data analysis skills (including Excel, Access, ACL, or other tools).
Meet Some of AppFolio's Employees
Manager, Mid-Market Sales
Travis creates space for rising stars on his Sales Team to succeed. He sees his job as an opportunity to help clients make their businesses more efficient and profitable.
Back to top