Who we are:
AppFolio has extensive experience in software development and continues to lead the way in providing our customers with user-friendly, intuitive, and innovative solutions. In June 2015, we reached IPO-- our growth is just getting starting. Our headquarters is in Santa Barbara with other key offices in Dallas and San Diego.
To learn more, check out our profile on The Muse
What’s in it for you:
20 PTO Days
Amazing company culture
Room to grow
Onsite Fitness Classes
A fully stocked break room with all kinds of snacks and goodies
Being a part of a growing punblic company in SaaS
What we are looking for:
We are seeking a detail oriented, hands on, experienced Director of Tax to join our growing team. As a direct report to the CFO, the Director of Tax is responsible for the overall management of the Company's international, federal and state planning, tax compliance, tax accounting and operational tax issues (inclusive of corporate income, indirect taxes, sales and use taxes, and property taxes). In addition, the role will be responsible for designing and implementing policies, procedures and controls for SOX 404 compliance.
Monitoring domestic sales and use tax will be key in this role; you will manage a tax senior analyst in performing research, preparing position papers and implementing tax reporting processes. You will continually create ways to work smarter by implementing, streamlining and automating tax processes and systems.
- Manage the preparation and analysis of the Company’s annual and quarterly provisions (ASC 740) and supporting work papers, journal entries and SEC disclosures, including accounting for uncertain tax positions and stock based compensation.
- Prepare quarterly account reconciliations for tax accounts.
- Ensure the Company’s tax compliance in all jurisdictions; federal, state, city (working with external advisors where needed). Coordinate and manage federal and state income tax compliance including estimated payments and extensions.
- Prepare federal and state corporate income tax returns and required state annual report filings
- Maintain detailed tax attribute calculations and carryforwards by legal entity including NOL’s, tax credits and tax basis analyses.
- Manage all federal and state income tax audits, respond to tax notices and inquiries and minimize penalties and interest.
- Assist in the identification, analysis and implementation of tax planning opportunities, strategies, and the mitigation of tax risks.
- Assist with tax due diligence in mergers and acquisitions and assist the Company in the establishment and maintenance of tax efficient legal entity structures
- Research and monitor issues and changes in federal and state income tax law and regulations; prepare technical memorandum papers to support tax accounting positions (with the assistance of external tax advisors, as necessary).
- Identify tax credits/deductions for R & D projects and oversight of annual calculation for credits and deductions related to internally developed products.
- Establish and maintain proper internal controls over tax processes. Design, implement and monitor internal controls under SOX 404.
- Effectively manage the budget for costs associated with the use of external tax experts and advisors.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Minimum of 10 years of corporate income tax experience with five years of director level experience at a public company required
- Positive attitude towards teamwork and the ability to work independently, decisively and efficiently
- Pragmatic and results-oriented with a collaborative approach to providing tax solutions, process improvement and support to meet the Company’s needs and objectives
- Experience with SaaS/subscription revenue preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and superior Excel skills
- Ability to solve problems using critical thinking skills
- Experience in fast-paced/high-tech environment
- Intacct experience a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or equivalent
- Masters in Taxation preferred
- CPA required
If you are interested in being part of a successful public SaaS company, apply today!
No outside recruiter or agency submissions, please.
Such submissions will be considered free to AppFolio.
Back to top