Director, Talent Acquisition
Who we are:
Over ten years ago, we launched AppFolio (NASDAQ: APPF) to revolutionize the way small and medium-sized businesses grow and compete. Today our software solutions serve the property management and legal industries. At the heart of our products and services is a talented and agile team that understands the importance of a 100% customer focus.
With offices in Santa Barbara, Dallas, and San Diego, our business is built for long term success fueled by happy, loyal customers and a team of AppFolians who contribute to our great culture every day.
To learn more about AppFolio and our company values check out our profile on The Muse!
● Competitive Compensation
● Amazing company culture: focus on a complete lifestyle
● Built to last: Grow your career in an innovative, public company
● Make an impact: your work plays a key role in transforming our customers’ businesses
● Love your team members: co-workers are often friends too
● Offices stocked with healthy snacks, games, and goodies
● A commitment to health/wellness including onsite fitness classes
● Give back to your team and your community
Who we are looking for:
The Director, Talent Acquisition (TA) is a dynamic leadership role that leverages both exceptional people skills and recruiting mastery to attract and hire the very best people. You will develop and execute long-range and short-term strategies to attract the best of the best in an ever competitive, high growth environment. You’ll partner with other amazing people across the company to listen, be a trusted talent advisor and brainstorm ideas on innovative approaches to building a pool of qualified, diverse talent for open and anticipated positions. The Director, TA will have a track record of building world class recruiting teams, employment brands, and attracting top talent across multiple industries.
YOU KNOW YOU’RE THE RIGHT FIT IF:
● You are familiar with old school TA practices, and are also willing to kick those to the curb in the spirit of taking a creative approach to solving business challenges.
● You’re collaborative, open to others’ points of view and a phenomenal listener and communicator.
● Influence is a strength; you’re not afraid to state your point of view, even if it’s the unpopular one. You’re able to be bold in asking for what you need or what’s right for the team.
● You’ve done this before - you come in and know how to navigate the culture and with whom to build relationships. You read people, and subtleties and even the toughest hiring partners love you - you’ve been told that you can work with anyone.
● You challenge traditional recruiting thinking by finding candidates from non-traditional sources. You’re open to crazy ideas and aren’t afraid to pilot an approach that could make a real impact.
● You’re a leader and a do-er, comfortable wearing both hats. You like jumping “in the trenches” to keep your hands-on recruiting skills fresh.
● You’re passionate about coaching and mentoring; your team, their development, happiness and success is your top priority.
● You know the best decision is a data-driven one, and you live and breathe talent metrics to tell a compelling story to your hiring leaders
● You drive a best-in-class hiring manager and candidate experience, and have a desire to constantly raise the bar in this area. “Good enough” is not an option.
● You get a rush after talking to an awesome candidate on the phone and are eager to find a match even when there’s no open req.
WHAT YOU’LL DO ALL DAY
● Leads the Talent Acquisition function by example with a true Talent Advisor approach: strategic recruiters capable of managing talent pipelines and advising the business on labor market conditions and recruiting strategies.
● Works with senior management to create and then execute a staffing strategy and workforce plan that meets company hiring and budget headcount goals.
● Proactively creates strategic sourcing plans to supplement succession plans where internal successors are not available.
● Promotes diverse talent pools across roles, while maintaining an exceptionally high talent bar
● Applies understanding of hiring trends, turnover rates and candidate experience feedback to guide management in best practices for changing market conditions.
● Provides ongoing education and training to enable hiring managers and teams to attract and hire top talent.
● Leads a team of highly productive Recruiters, Talent Specialists and other Staffing roles in a fast-paced environment. Manages team to clearly defined goals and provides ongoing coaching and support.
● Analyzes and applies metrics for hiring volume, cost, speed and quality to continuously improve recruiting team effectiveness.
● Works collaboratively with recruiting team to develop new or simplify existing processes, practices and programs to attract top candidates. Ensures exceptional candidate and hiring manager experience at every touch point.
● In partnership with the Marketing team, develops and manages campaigns and programs to increase awareness of AppFolio as a “Best Place to Work” and cultivate our employment brand.
● Develops and maintains strong external relationships with local associations, organizations and key universities to enhance the company’s reputation in the market.
● Leads the selection of recruiting technologies, services and vendors.
● Researches recruiting trends and benchmarks other organizations to apply the latest innovative practices to AppFolio.
● Reviews and approves contractual relationships with retained and contingent agencies; contract recruiters, job boards, job fairs and job search websites for posting requisitions and surfacing candidates.
● Drives strong collaboration with HR Business Partners and HR Specialists to deliver exceptional and unified service to internal clients.
● Manages contingent worker process in partnership with Legal and Procurement.
● Leads in-house executive-level interview and selection process and leverages external agencies as appropriate.
● Continuously updates processes and educates managers on regulatory and statutory requirements (ie Equal Employment Opportunity) and TA best practices (ie interviewing skills).
Skills, Knowledge & Experience:
● Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree preferred.
● 10+ years of progressive in-house Human Resources experience required, with a minimum of 5-7 years in management of a corporate talent acquisition team.
● Experience working in software/SaaS high growth company preferred.
● Talent Acquisition:
○ Extensive knowledge of talent acquisition principles, practices, and procedures, with demonstrated experience in recruiting, hiring, and interviewing best practices.
○ Strong knowledge of global/immigration process, laws and relocation / mobility best practices.
○ Strong knowledge of current and awareness of pending Federal and State Regulations relating to employment practices.
○ Proficiency in Word, PowerPoint, Excel and G-Suite with excellent ATS and database management skills required.
● Innovative Mindset
○ Possesses a natural orientation toward creative problem-solving within a fast-paced environment.
○ Change driver who anticipates trends, pitches new ideas, and translates ideas into tangible actions.
● Setting Strategy
○ Inspires imagination by creating a coherent vision out of messy problems.
○ Plans for short-term wins to build momentum and therefore drive towards long-term goals.
● Executing for Results
○ Possesses strong project management skills with experience driving cross-functional projects from concept to implementation.
○ Action-oriented, hands-on and demonstrated experience within an innovative, fast-paced, and performance-oriented environment.
○ Sets compelling goals, rallies the team to meet or exceed those goals and drives continuous improvement. Shows tenacity, resilience and resourcefulness in driving toward goals.
○ Ensures transparency, openness and the steady flow of ideas and information.
○ A player/coach who leads by example and exhibits the utmost integrity and humility.
○ A track-record of hiring, developing, engaging, and retaining top talent.
● Communication, Building Relationships and Using Influence
○ Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
○ Works within and outside of his/her own group with cooperation and collegiality.
○ Can influence effectively without authority.
○ Possesses the utmost personal and professional integrity, acting as an example to those on his/her team and to others within the company.
○ Superior leadership presence with both the ability and credibility to present ideas and recommendations at all levels within the organization.
Meet Some of AppFolio's Employees
Software Engineering Director
Damon’s main goal is to create a great engineering culture at AppFolio. He’s responsible for providing teams with the tools they need to build an amazing product.
Back to top