Director, Facilities and Workplace Services
- Santa Barbara, CA
Hi, We’re AppFolio.
We’re innovators, changemakers, and collaborators. We’re more than just a software company — we’re a cloud-based powerhouse that creates products to make our customers’ lives easier. We’re revolutionizing the way people do business, and we want your ideas, your enthusiasm, and your passion to help us keep on innovating.
We love where we work, and you can, too.
The Facilities and Workplace Services Director supports AppFolio’s growth by building, coaching, developing and managing a team of Facilities and Workplace experience professionals that deliver best-in-class workplace environments and experiences for AppFolio employees at all office properties through creative and service-oriented day-to-day operations and thoughtful office design projects.
What You'll Do:
- Create and evolve the strategic solutions for AppFolio office properties in terms of technical building operations & systems, designs that promote operational efficiency & collaboration, and a look & feel that reflects the Company brand and values.
- Develop occupancy strategies that solve the challenges inherent with a high-growth business. Direct site master planning efforts, secure related project approvals, and manage approved projects to successful conclusions.
- Develop and evolve AppFolio Facilities standards and guiding principles that reflect Company values and to ensure an appropriate level of continuity across all AppFolio offices.
- Oversee all Facilities Workplace Experience related OPEX and CAPEX planning, budgeting and related management tasks. Provide applicable project cost estimates for capital planning purposes.
- Expand departmental discipline around timely use of requisite finance & accounting system, monthly accruals, and cash-flow forecasts.
- Develop project scopes of work (SoW’s), Request for Proposals (RFP’s), and compare bids to facilitate key project decisions. - As Required
- Develop operational and capital cost containment strategies.
- Serve as the go-to resource for the Finance Department for all applicable procurement, operating expense and capital fixed asset questions and needs.
- Define metrics that show how we are doing. Determine valuable Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) including Cost/SF, Cost/HC, Cost/location, Total Cost as % of Revenue, Space ‐ SF/Seat (density), Utilization rates, etc.
- Provide project cost estimates for capital planning purposes. Develop project scope(s) of work, RFP’s, and compare bids to obtain best prices Develop operational and capital cost containment strategies
- Oversee day-to-day Facilities operations, building systems, maintenance, safety systems and services at all AppFolio offices.
- Accountable for providing the facilities infrastructure required to support approved hiring and work station moves/adds/changes.
- Own Facility related vendor and professional service provider selections, contracts and management. Act as owner's representative in the management of architects, engineers, contractors, permit expeditors, etc. Ensure that vendor partners operate as an extension of the Facilities & Workplace Experience team while meeting all contractual service level agreements.
- Office Tenant Improvement Design & Construction Projects:
- Working with the VP Corporate Real Estate and the applicable Facility Manager, oversee the design, engineering, construction and furnishing of all tenant improvement projects.
- Ensure Company work environments are Safe, Healthy, Sustainable and Fun.
- Own Facilities & Workplace Experience related service agreements and professional service providers.
- Assist other departments with other office-wide initiatives and cultural events
- Event Coordination, Planning and Support - own the process for applicable Workplace Experience events by event scoping/defining, budgeting, scheduling, selecting venues, negotiating with & managing vendors, acquiring all applicable permits/approvals, defining catering requirements, partnering with purchasing and legal department for contract completion and payments, and running the event itself - per annual events calendar.
- Assist in maximizing new hire onboarding experience.
What We’re Looking For:
Communication - Strong written and verbal communication skills across all levels and audiences
Self Directive - Self-identify, prioritize, focus and complete facilities and workplace service-related tasks
Financial Acumen: Strong understanding of financial statements and business economics and the ability to apply such an understanding in a manner that results in great decision making.
Customer Service Oriented: Decisions are made with the customer satisfaction in mind and knows how to create an optimal experience for employees. Build relationships with internal clients.
Project Management: Can orchestrate multiple projects at once, keeping things on track while keeping stakeholders in the know.
Influence & Negotiation: Strong listening & negotiation skills shall be leveraged in intra-company scenarios (other departments & senior leadership).
Fostering Teams: Create team values and goals, as well as evaluate team performance alongside individual performance; foster teamwork and establish relationships with each employee.
- 10+ years in Facilities & Workplace Experience leadership roles
- Certified Facility Manager (CFM) and/or relevant Construction or Architectural education/licensure is preferred
- 7+ years of large scale and high-volume project management experience
- Communication Skills: Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills across all levels of audiences
- Financial Acumen, Discipline and Analysis
- Line Management - Team Building, Motivation and Management
- Respect for confidential information
AppFolio (NASDAQ: APPF) was founded in 2006 with the mission to revolutionize vertical industry businesses by providing great software and service. Our easy-to-use, cloud-based software helps our customers more effectively market, manage, and grow their businesses. Today our software solutions exist in two verticals including the real estate (AppFolio Property Manager, AppFolio Property Manager PLUS, and AppFolio Investment Manager) and legal (MyCase) industries.
To find out more about what AppFolio has to offer, check out appfolioinc.com/careers.
Back to top