Appear Here is the world's leading marketplace for retail space, working with everyone from industry leading brands to exciting start-ups. From the guy with just an idea to the established brands like Chanel, Nike, Spotify and Netflix, we are here to make their idea happen by connecting them to the best spaces globally and providing a seamless experience to match their different needs and aspirations.
We've raised over $30m in funding to date - from tier one investors Balderton and Octopus, as well as some of the biggest in the retail and property industry, such as Natalie Massenet, founder of Net-a-Porter. Named one of Wired Magazine's '100 Hottest Start-Ups' and The Financial Times' most 'Disruptive Companies', Appear Here has become the go-to destination to make innovative and creative retail ideas happen across London, Paris and New York. We believe we're building a game changer for both the retail and property industries, and so far 200,000+ brands and thousands of landlords joined our mission.
We know our city streets have faced challenge after challenge in the past year, but with that comes the incredible opportunity to build something better. As a part of our Product team, you will be a key part of revolutionising our platform and bringing new features to life. You'll be building an amazing user experience for brands and landlords globally as well as all the internal tools to help the rest of the team make it look easy.
Exciting challenges lie ahead-new destinations, technologies, and services. It's a great time to join and be part of our increasingly diverse team that focuses on finding creative solutions and, ultimately, empowering our global community. Come join us!
Due to government guidance in the UK this role is remote for the foreseeable future. Having said that, we see each other and communicate regularly, enough to make you feel part of team but not so much to get in the way. When government guidance changes the longer-term plan is to have a hybrid working environment where we work both remote when needed but also get together in an office environment to collaborate.
- Create, own and lead the technology vision at Appear Here including frontend, backend, infrastructure and data science, building not just for today but for tomorrow as well
- Drive innovation within the context of an Agile development organisation, improve and maintain production systems, processes, security and infrastructure
- Ensure software is developed on time, on budget and in line with key customer and business requirements
- Ensure Appear Here's technology is scalable and fit for purpose as the company expands
- Continue to raise the bar by helping the existing team improve and owning the hiring of new members
WHY WE LIKE YOU
We're looking for a strong technical lead who is eager to be hands on:
- You have opinions and want to do the right thing; we want you to own the product, and care about the direction it goes in
- You will be a strong leader with excellent communication skills, able to inspire and motivate the team and the rest of the business
- You can own the engineering roadmap and produce business cases to outline the benefits of your proposed solutions
- You will be hands-on and able to practically coach and mentor the team and give them technical guidance when needed
- You're a pragmatic decision maker who can articulate how you arrived at difficult decisions
A good understanding of the following would be advantageous:
- Strong skills in Ruby and Ruby on Rails; they're the backbone of our Stack
- Experience of AWS (or similar) services, such as EC2, RDS and RedShift
- Experience of managing applications on cloud environments (we use EKS)
- Experience with different CI/CD tools and technologies
- Knowledge of good database design and query optimisation
WHY YOU'LL LIKE US
- We make ideas happen. Work with some of the most inspiring and innovative brands out there.
- We're no bullshit. You won't find office politics or excuses here - we say it how it is.
- We punch above. We give you the opportunity to achieve more than you thought you could.