Senior Frontend Engineer - Remote
- Boston, MA
Your work as a Senior Frontend Engineer will empower thousands of Appcues customers to improve their product’s usability and adoption for millions of end-users without writing any code. The Appcues UX is made up of two major React applications. First, the Appcues Flow Builder Chrome extension allows customers to click to create beautiful in-app experiences such as onboarding guides, tips, announcements, and surveys. Second, Appcues Studio enables customers to segment, personalize, target, and analyze these experiences across their entire user base. Our world-class customers, such as Amplitude, Lyft, and Segment, embed Appcues in their products to deliver high-quality experiences to millions of end-users. Fun fact: Chris Coyier uses Appcues for Codepen’s new user onboarding!
About the role
- The engineering team currently has about 20 people across four small teams. We are looking to hire a Senior frontend engineer for one of our feature teams, which today each have three engineers, a designer, a QA engineer, and a product manager.
- On a typical day, you may collaborate on a design, architect a solution, break down an epic, implement a feature, collaborate on a new frontend practice, or mentor another engineer.
- Our engineers use React with styled-components and Redux with redux-saga to create experiences that communicate with internal APIs (Node and Elixir) or 3rd-party services. We practice TDD and write tests in Jest, Cypress, and RainforestQA to verify behavior and document our work.
- Our engineering teams work in two-week iterations, communicate mostly via Slack, and are committed to remote, agile development. When you are ready, you’ll create and send a pull request with tests and tag your team for review. We use CI pipelines to deploy to production and regularly improve them to deliver higher quality software faster.
- You’ll collaborate with product, customer success, technical support, and sales to translate customer needs into working code and a delightful UX.
- You will be involved in all development stages, including discovery and user-testing of new features and products.
- You have an eye for user-centric, accessible interfaces when crafting CSS. You are comfortable with SCSS patterns for styled-components and aren’t afraid of flexbox or css-grid.
- You can comfortably work 9-5 Eastern Time. While we are a 100% remote-1st company and you can work from anywhere, we require 8 hours overlap to collaborate effectively with the rest of our team members who work these hours.
- You enjoy pairing & mentoring other engineers to help them grow technically. You are often recognized as a go-to person across your company for your expertise and help.
- You can confidently debug challenging issues such as race conditions. You have experience measuring and improving perceived frontend performance (e.g., speed to load and change routes) with a deep understanding of browser internals and the DOM.
- You are passionate about unit and integration testing strategies, the testing pyramid, CI pipelines, and sustaining test suites over the long term. You have experience with dependency injection and module mocking. You believe in testing your work.
- You are comfortable with package management and the related ecosystem of tools, builds, distribution techniques, and component library strategies.
- You are empathetic, helpful and regularly look for ways to pitch in and make a difference for your team and company.
- You believe remote teams are the future of work or are at least excited about the idea.
100% remote - We don’t have an office which ensures all of our employees learn and collaborate in the same way using remote work practices. This won't change post-COVID as we are committed to being 100% remote for the long-term. We work in Slack, Zoom, and a collection of modern collaboration tools. We have inclusive remote events and, after COVID times, will get together twice a year for a fun off-site retreat.
Well-being - You'll have solid health, dental, and vision plans; access to 401k, and a generous maternity and paternity leave.
Home office and tech budget - We offer a $1000 home office stipend and an additional $500 annual budget for extra work-related technology.
Coworking space, on us - Home office not cutting it? We'll reimburse your monthly coworking fees.
Equity - We want everyone invested in our success. We grant every employee equity in the company.
Transparency and collaboration - We foster team alignment with meetings of all shapes and sizes—a monthly all-hands meeting called FirstThurs, weekly team lunches, and Lunch & Learns.
Unlimited vacation - We believe time away to reflect and explore makes us all more productive, so we expect each employee to take a minimum of ten days of vacation per year.
At Appcues, our mission is to help teams build products their users love. With Appcues, you can create in-product experiences (user onboarding, feature announcements, checklists, and more) without writing any code. We believe it’s the non-technical people who often have the best information about a user’s needs and desires, and we give them the tools to act.
We’re a dynamic group of talented teammates who challenge, trust, and care about each other, their work, and the success story we are writing. Our values are not just words. We live by them.
Appcues is an equal opportunity employer that commits to diversity and inclusion and also celebrates it. We do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, religion, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability status, or marital status. We believe that diverse teams foster a more inclusive company culture, build better products, and are more human, humane, and fun.
Back to top