Senior Android Engineer - Remote
- Boston, MA
Your work on a new project as a Senior Android engineer will empower thousands of Appcues customers to improve their Android app’s usability and adoption for millions of their end-users. Appcues’ no-code tools have helped customers deliver over 1.4 billion in-app web experiences such as onboarding guides, tips, announcements, and surveys. Now it's time to bring these same capabilities to their mobile applications. Your mission is to design, architect, and build a Kotlin-based Android SDK that our customers, such as The Knot, Lyft, and ProfitWell, will embed in their apps to deliver personal mobile-optimized experiences. As our first Android engineer, this is a unique and challenging opportunity to help determine our Android architecture and be a key influencer of our overall mobile strategy.
About the role:
- Our fully remote engineering team currently has over 30 people comprised of six small cross-functional teams. Our mobile team will have seven members including iOS engineers, product management, QA, and design. Your initial mission is to design and develop an Appcues Android SDK and sample app using Kotlin focusing on a great Android developer experience.
- On a typical day, you may architect a solution, collaborate with our iOS, backend, and frontend engineers, assist early customers, build a new feature, or drive consensus on a new practice.
- Our engineers are involved in all stages of development, including conception, design, and user-testing of new features and products.
- Our engineering teams work in two-week iterations and manage their work via Github, Clubhouse, and Slack and are committed to agile development. You’ll break down any Epics and designs into stores, and as you complete tasks and tests, you’ll create and send a pull request with tests and tag your team for review. We believe in CI/CD, and you’ll work with our DevSecOps team to improve our testing and production deployment pipelines.
- You’ll collaborate across the organization with design, customer success, technical support, and sales to translate customer needs into working code and a delightful developer and user experience.
- You have 5+ years developing Android applications or Android SDKs. You have excellent judgment across Android implementation approaches and are aware of their strengths & weaknesses. You are pragmatic, not dogmatic.
- You are an excellent communicator and enjoy documenting your designs, PRs, and usage guides for other developers.
- You are experienced developing in Kotlin and are passionate about Android Developer Experience, testing, and security fundamentals.
- You are comfortable influencing cross-team standards, practices, and tools by rolling up your sleeves and showing how things can be better.
- You can clearly describe the business implications of your technical decisions. You are excited to develop a vision & future technical Android roadmap.
- You have collaborated closely with teammates working in iOS to develop innovative solutions that provide similar value across platforms, yet have a native experience to Android.
- It is a plus if you have experience developing for iOS as well.
100% remote - We don’t have an office so all of our employees learn and collaborate in the same way using remote work practices. This won't change post-COVID as we are committed to being 100% remote for the long-term. We work in Slack, Zoom, and a collection of modern collaboration tools. We have inclusive remote events and, after COVID times, will get together twice a year for a fun off-site retreat.
Well-being - You'll have solid health, dental, and vision plans; access to 401k, and a generous maternity and paternity leave.
Fair pay - Each role has a defined salary band, bands and salaries are audited on a regular basis to help maintain fairness and market value
Home office and tech budget - Besides paying for your work computer (Mac or PC), we offer a one-time $1000 home office stipend and an additional $500 annual budget for extra work-related technology.
Coworking space, on us - Home office not cutting it? We'll reimburse your monthly coworking fees.
Equity - We want everyone invested in our success. We grant every employee equity in the company.
Transparency and collaboration - We foster team alignment with meetings of all shapes and sizes—a monthly all-hands meeting called FirstThurs, weekly team lunches, and Lunch & Learns., and an annual learning stipend.
Unlimited vacation - We believe time away to reflect and explore makes us all more productive, so we expect each employee to take a minimum of ten days of vacation per year. Employees based in the USA also take off all US federal holidays. Employees residing in other countries can choose to follow their local national holidays or US federal holidays.
At Appcues, our mission is to help teams build products their users love. With Appcues, you can create in-product experiences (user onboarding, feature announcements, checklists, and more) without writing any code. We believe it’s the non-technical people who often have the best information about a user’s needs and desires, and we give them the tools to act.
We’re a dynamic group of talented teammates who challenge, trust, and care about each other, their work, and the success story we are writing. Our values are not just words. We live by them.
Appcues is an equal opportunity employer that commits to diversity and inclusion and also celebrates it. We do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, religion, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability status, or marital status. We believe that diverse teams foster a more inclusive company culture, build better products, and are more human, humane, and fun.
Back to top