Senior Product Designer
- New York, NY
ABOUT A PLACE FOR MOM
A Place for Mom is an online platform connecting families searching for senior care services with a team of experienced advisors providing insight-driven and personalized solutions. Our mission, as the leader in senior care advisory, is to be a trusted destination for families and our community customers. We are a quickly growing organization with over 500 advisors connecting more than 300K families every year to one of our community customers.
Living by our values and working to achieve excellence on behalf of our customers is integral to success at A Place for Mom. Employees who thrive at A Place for Mom live our values every day and are an important part of our hiring practices:
- Focus on Excellence
- Act with Integrity & Assume Positive Intent
- Drive Outcomes Every Day with Passion and A Sense of Mission
- Make the Lives of our Families and Customers Better, Easier and More Successful
- Realize the Full Potential in Each Team Member. Work as a Single Supportive Team
Larry Kutscher - Chief Executive Officer
Larry Kutscher is Chief Executive Officer of A Place for Mom. Larry is a veteran CEO with over 30 years of experience leading digital, technology and service businesses through significant periods of growth and value creation. Prior to this role, he served as Chief Executive Officer of TravelClick, where he drove the company’s overall strategic vision and helped increased the company’s value from approximately $300 million to more than $1.5 billion over eight years.
We are looking for a talented Senior Product Designer for our consumer facing web sites like aplaceformom.com, assistedliving.com, senioradvisor.com, ourparents.com, seniorszen.com, nursinghomes.com, and our mobile applications. In addition, you will also be responsible for designing user experiences for applications used by our senior living advisors. Your primary goal will be to design elegant, compelling user experiences to acquire, educate, and convert customers on our web sites. You will enable our senior living advisors to understand and serve the needs of the family. You will create high fidelity product designs, and prototypes for user testing.
As a product designer you will be part of our product team that includes product manager, scrum master, developers, quality assurance analysts, UX researchers and architects. You will participate in product discovery and create compelling product designs using design thinking approach.
This position reports to the Director of Product Design, Research and User Experience and will be based in New York City.
Who you are:
The ideal candidate is a passionate UX designer with attention to detail. You empathize with the user, understand their needs, create a solution, test and refine. You understand how people interact with digital devices and can solve for their needs. You’ll make magic by crafting and shipping delightful experiences. You enjoy working with a cross functional team to achieve the desired business outcome. You understand importance of design systems and scaling best design practices to help scale design and development efficiencies. You understand importance of user research, feedback and iterative development.
What you will do:
- Help establish our product vision and strategy, including instrumenting and managing the enterprise design language system
- Own design problems end to end, from initial concept through shipping and beyond
- Obsess over the details of visual and motion design
- Work with product to define goals, roadmaps and product requirements
- Identify future opportunities, working as a key thought partner to your counterparts in product, engineering, and marketing
- Partner with our UX research team to better understand the needs of our customers
- Collaborate with engineers to build delightful and reliable experiences
- Ship, measure, and improve your designs based on quantitative and qualitative feedback
- Drive business outcome by acquiring, educating and converting customers (families) across our site. Simplify internal software used by our Senior Living Advisors. Design compelling experience for our community portal to drive engagement
- Work in product teams in Agile/SCRUM methodology
- Support A/B testing needs to understand what design and interactions work best towards acquiring and converting customers
Required Skills and Competencies:
- 6+ years experience designing digital consumer products, design systems and/or interactive style guides
- Experience in executing design thinking
- Proven ability to work in cross-functional environments
- Can demonstrate thinking at a high level about product strategy and vision
- Experience with identifying, solving complex, and ambiguous design problems
- A track record of shipping great design, and an understanding of what details matter at each stage of the release cycle
- A portfolio showing your high quality, thoughtful visual and interaction work; have launched successful and highly visible digital products in the consumer marketplace.
- Degree in Design or Art; Visual Design, Interaction Design, Industrial Design, Motion, Architecture, Urban Planning, Graphic Design, HCI, or related field of study (or work experience in lieu of degree)
- Expereince in an e-commerce/marketing/conversion-focused role is preferred.
- You are a master of your craft and know design trends and patterns, while also staying aware of technological feasibility
- You are comfortable working in the Agile methodology and how UI development fits into that practice
- You are able to juggle multiple priorities and effectively deliver in a fast paced, dynamic environment
- You listen well and have excellent speaking and writing skills and can articulate your decision and design process
- You are respectful when challenging assumptions and give and receive feedback with equal grace
- You have the ability to influence peers and managers to build consensus
- You have a curiosity that drives you to look at the world as a solution instead of just existing patterns and mental models
- Open to travel
Back to top