Sr. Software Engineer, The Huffington Post
The Huffington Post is a Pulitzer Prize-winning source of breaking news, video, features, and entertainment, as well as a highly engaged global community for opinion and conversation. The platform has 100,000 bloggers -- from politicians, students and celebrities to academics, parents and policy experts -- who contribute in real-time on the subjects about which they are most passionate. The Huffington Post is committed to covering our core editorial pillars -- news and politics, wellness, and solutions to the world's biggest problems -- and using every available tool and platform, including virtual reality and immersive storytelling, to inform, inspire, entertain and empower. With a global multiplatform audience, The Huffington Post has editions in the UK, Canada, France, Spain, Italy, Japan, Maghreb, Germany, Brazil, South Korea, Greece, India, Australia and the Arab world. The Huffington Post is part of AOL Inc.
As a member of the HuffPost Tech Team, you will start launching new software ASAP. We use a realworld agile development process that includes rapid development of new products designed by small teams, which work closely with our tech-savvy, data driven editors. We are innovating the web in many different ways: by leading editorial teams in North America, South America, Europe, Asia, and Africa, on mobile with new and ground breaking iOS and Android applications, and with our realtime video network HuffPost Live.
HuffPost Tech Team members are hardcore software development and design professionals who take user interface design and coding seriously, but have a great time while doing so. Not only do we have healthy snacks, nap rooms, and a ping pong table, but a VR lab as well! The HuffPost Tech Team is small enough that you get to know everyone but large enough that you'll find a great work-life balance.
- Work with world class editors, and infrastructure engineers to maintain and create the next generation of HuffPost's backend systems and services
- Build efficient, reusable and highly scalable service oriented architecture and APIs
- Identify and address performance bottlenecks
- Participate in design and code reviews
- Stay up-to-date on the innovations in Internet software and technology
- Ensure HuffPost takes advantage of the best practices for backend engineering
- Experience with ticketing systems like JIRA
- Experience with Test Driven Development, Continuous Integration and Deployment tools
- Experience with Agile Development
- Experience with MySQL, Unix, NoSQL databases and Open Source Software
- Experience with Design Patterns, Object Oriented Programming, and Functional Programming
- Passionate about optimizing developer workflow
- Sense of humor
- Strong interest in journalism, media, or any of the liberal arts
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- 5 years of experience in Computer Science or related field
- Languages and Frameworks
- Expertise and at least 2 years experience with Scala or Java.
- Experience or working knowledge of AngularJS a plus.
- Expertise and experience with the Play2 framework.
- Expertise and at least 2 years experience with NOSql data stores like MongoDB, building REST APIs, and caching technologies such as Memcache, Redis and Varnish.
- Experience or working knowledge with build tools and version control utilities such as SBT, Jenkins, Grunt, Git/Github
EEO/AA Women, Minorities, Veterans, Individuals with Disabilities Employer: AOL offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including 401(k) match and performance bonus. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or other protected category.
Back to top