Social Media Editor
The Huffington Post is a Pulitzer Prize-winning source of breaking news, features, and entertainment, as well as a highly engaged community for opinion and conversation. The Huffington Post has over 200 million users. The site has over 100,000 bloggers -- from politicians, students and celebrities to academics, parents and policy experts -- who contribute in real-time on the subjects about which they are most passionate. The Huffington Post has editions in the UK, Canada, France, Spain, Italy, Japan, Maghreb, Germany, Brazil, South Korea, Greece, India, Australia, and the Arabic world. The Huffington Post is part of AOL Inc.
The Huffington Post UK is seeking a Social Media Editor to help manage our growing suite of social media accounts. Primarily working across news and politics, this role will work to grow audiences and engagement both on and off platform. Excited by breaking news and developing stories, we’re looking for a hands-on editor who leads by example, putting HuffPost UK at the centre of trending news by managing distribution and identifying coverage opportunities. Comfortable presenting ideas across the newsroom, the editor will be responsible for communicating best practice in the way stories are sold, scheduled and posted.
In taking ownership of our social accounts, the editor will have a proven record of being able to understand and act on data as well as help set the right tone and character for our posting strategy. In addition to driving innovation across our social accounts, including reviewing existing branding and presentation, the successful candidate will help identify new opportunities on different platforms.
• Hands-on management of social distribution around high profile events and breaking news
• Develop a consistent, insights-driven posting strategy across all platforms and content teams
• Ensure posts carry a tone which plays to HuffPost’s brand and distinguishes us in the market
• Ensure our accounts are fun, factual, entertaining and programmed to the highest standards
• Use data to communicate best practice across the newsroom to grow our social presence
• Ensure pages are scheduled to the highest standards with the right content at the right times
• Experimentation with emerging social platforms to help identify future success and growth
We are looking for someone who...
has experience working in a fast paced national newsroom, ideally with journalists and media professionals
has experience of running multiple social media accounts and good at interpreting data
is a keen follower of current events, politics, international news and popular culture
can demonstrate gravitas by being able to hold their own with editors and senior staffers
knows how to use data to understand the relationship between social engagement and traffic
is comfortable working with video and graphic design tools to create rich social media assets
has exceptional communication skills and be able to guide and influence a team of journalists
possesses the confidence and curiosity to explore different / new platforms and posting strategies
has management experience which would be an advantage as the role continues to grow and develop
The application process
When applying for this role please respond to the following questions and complete the hiring task below (note: only applicants that provide this will be considered)
1. Do you have permanent work rights for the United Kingdom?
2. Please indicate your salary expectations?
1. Please provide links to three HuffPost UK stories that you would personally share across social media
2. What are five ways publishers can grow and engage new audiences? Talk about what brands like HuffPost need to do to prepare and adapt to big trends and changes in social media over the next 2 years
Back to top