Senior/Principal Data Scientist
AOL is a media technology company with a mission to simplify the internet for consumers and creators by unleashing the world's best builders of culture and code. As the 4th largest online property in the U.S., with approximately 200 million monthly consumers of its premium brands, AOL is at the center of disruption of how content is being produced, distributed, consumed, and monetized by connecting publishers with advertisers on its global, programmatic content and advertising platforms. AOL's opportunity lies in shaping the future of the digitally connected world for decades to come.
The AOL R&D team is responsible for solving complex problems in online advertising and beyond, and makes use of advanced techniques from the literature, as well as, develops and patents ground-breaking new methodologies in-house. The members of the R&D team have different backgrounds and come from fields such as engineering, applied mathematics, statistics, and computer science; but all of them have at least one thing in common: they are passionate and love problem-solving.
· Expertise in statistics, machine learning, data mining and software engineering to solve online advertising challenging problems: analyzing and modeling very large data sets (TBs to PBs) and building solutions in areas like real-time bidding, yield optimization, path prediction, geo-location and mobile user behavior modeling.
· Performs all data science lifecycle activities, including data cleansing, ETL, feature engineering, model development and performance evaluation.
· Collaborates with product, engineering and operations to understand the product and business requirements and factor them into models.
· Prototypes models and be able to demonstrate them to product or business team
· Mentor junior data science team members.
- M.S. or Ph.D. in one of the following: Computer Science (with a focus on artificial intelligence, data mining, or machine learning), Mathematics, Statistics, or another quantitative scientific field.
- Proven ability to combine academic and empirical research to solve challenging data problems and put ideas into production
- Ability to gauge the complexity of machine learning problems and a willingness to execute simple approaches for quick, effective solutions when appropriate
- 3+ years experience in building production machine learning or statistical models and systems on Big Data
- Hands-on experience with supervised and unsupervised machine learning algorithms for regression, classification, and clustering; with a deep understanding how each algorithm works.
- Hands-on experience analyzing/modeling big data (TB-PB level)
- Hands-on experience using structured and unstructured data, ideally in a HDFS-based store using some variation of MapReduce, Hive, Pig, or Spark a strong plus
- Proficient in Python or R, experience with AWS/Spark a plus, production-level programming skills in Java, Scala or Python a strong plus
- Experience in Ad Tech, Online Media or E-Commerce experience within the mobile world would be a strong plus
You will love this role if you
- Have a passion to work on large-scale datasets (billions of records per day)
- Are enthusiastic about turning your ideas into real products.
- Wants to be part of a dynamic highly motivated and collaborative team
EEO/AA Women, Minorities, Veterans, Individuals with Disabilities Employer: AOL offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including 401(k) match and performance bonus. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or other protected category.
Back to top