Reporter - General Assignment Desk
The Huffington Post is a Pulitzer Prize-winning source of breaking news, video, features, and entertainment, as well as a highly engaged global community for opinion and conversation. The platform has 100,000 bloggers -- from politicians, students and celebrities to academics, parents and policy experts -- who contribute in real-time on the subjects about which they are most passionate. The Huffington Post is committed to covering our core editorial pillars -- news and politics, wellness, and solutions to the world's biggest problems -- and using every available tool and platform, including virtual reality and immersive storytelling, to inform, inspire, entertain and empower. With a global multiplatform audience, The Huffington Post has editions in the UK, Canada, France, Spain, Italy, Japan, Maghreb, Germany, Brazil, South Korea, Greece, India, Australia and the Arab world. The Huffington Post is part of AOL Inc.
The Huffington Post is looking for a hungry and agile General Assignment Reporter to cover breaking news and provide thoughtful and unique angles about current events. This reporter will write about everything from major global events to provocative conversations that bubble up online.
The reporter will play a key role on the General Assignment Desk, which aims to provide 24/7 news coverage through its offices across the globe. The overnight reporter will handle breaking and daily domestic and international news to serve the U.S. site during overnight East Coast hours, which would be approximately 8 am to 5 p.m. local time in London or Sydney.
The reporter will also help ensure that any ongoing stories from the previous shifts are kept up to date and appealing for our audience. Each person on the GA desk also has an area of focus, and is encouraged to dig for and break news in that area.
This position can be based in Sydney or London as long as you have full working rights for either location.
We are looking for someone who...
- Be level-headed during even the most fast-moving, high-pressure news events
- Ideally has at least 2-3 years' of reporting experience in breaking and daily news, with international news coverage preferred.
- Write and edit impeccably. Honor the value of clarity, accuracy and speed
- Always, always, always strive to move a story forward
- Know how to find and contact witnesses, stakeholders, experts and officials faster than our competition
- Have a high-level B.S. detector and steadfast gut instincts. Know how to spot an imposter or a hoax from a mile away
- Use videos, images, graphics and interactives as key storytelling tools
- Understand how to write an engaging story that gets to the core of who, what, when and why it matters.
- Know how to craft a shareable and clickable headline
- Obsess over new storytelling techniques. Experiment and innovate
- Be able to dig up a great story idea in all kinds of places: Twitter, a small blog, emerging platforms, or in the 10th paragraph of a newspaper article
- Use analytics tools to spot trends
- Be able to balance both daily and enterprise projects
- Have a wide range of interests, from hard news to entertainment
Back to top