Linux System Engineer
Verizon Digital Media Services brings together world-class technology to prepare, deliver and display content — so users can watch and enjoy on their terms. The purpose of our platform is simple. It delivers next-generation digital experiences for today’s demanding users, whether it be their favorite TV shows, catching up with friends via social media or shopping for the latest gadgets. Built on top of one of the world’s largest networks, our platform easily handles your users’ appetite for instant, secure and always-on media, anytime, anywhere.
· Be an engineer and love to build new things -- innovative thinker and creative problem solver
· Be on top of the latest technologies and massive scale DevOps & Agile methodologies
· Actively participate in evolving design and architecture of our provisioning and automation tools
· Perform planning, configuration, deployment and maintenance work associated with our production environments, supporting tens of thousands of Linux servers globally
· Quickly and efficiently troubleshoot issues in order to provide an outstanding support for customers; determine root cause and implement permanent resolutions for more intricate issues
· Identify areas for process and efficiency improvement within Systems Operations; recommend solutions and assist in overseeing implementation using established best practices
· Provide technical leadership, train and mentor team of systems administrators
· Create and maintain detailed documentation
· Build tools to monitor various systems capacity and provide analytics & forecasts for capacity as required
· Evaluate new software / hardware, and develop scalable infrastructure solutions
· Participate in an on-call rotation with a growing team systems administrators and engineers in a 24x7 worldwide presence.
· BS/BA is preferred (or equivalent experience).
· 5+ years of relevant experience in Linux / Unix systems administration, provisioning, configuration, monitoring (Nagios, Zenoss, SNMP, etc) and troubleshooting.
· 2+ years of experience in network technologies (JunOS, IOS).
· Excellent understanding of current methodologies in high performance operations and large-scale implementations.
· Deep understanding of the Linux OS, internals, kernel & filesystems tuning, protocols and services (such as PXE, DNS, HTTP, NFS, CIFS, FUSE) and troubleshooting utilities (strace, sar, vmstat, mpstat, tcpdump).
· Extensive experience in shell scripting/programming skills, systems automation tools (FAI, Kickstart, SaltStack, Puppet, Chef).
· Expertise in advanced networking subjects (TCP/IP, BGP, VLAN, Bonding/Trunking, switches, routers & firewalls).
· Working knowledge of virtualization technology (KVM, Xen, ESXi, OpenStack), Dell hardware (DRACs, Livecycle Controllers, BIOS, RAID controllers), and Apache/Nginx, MySQL, LVM, LVS software.
· Must possess strong documentation skills and be able to work with rapid change, Configuration Management utilities (SaltStack, Puppet, etc), and Source Control (Git, SVN).
· Prior experience with CDN, ISP, 2,000+ server environments, or production Internet-facing services for large enterprise customers is highly preferred.
EEO/AA Women, Minorities, Veterans, Individuals with Disabilities Employer: AOL offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including 401(k) match and performance bonus. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or other protected category.
Back to top