Devils Backbone- Outpost Tap Room & Kitchen Line Cook
- Roanoke, VA
Position: Line Cook I
Supervisor: Executive Chef
Division: Hospitality Division - Outpost
FLSA Status (Classification): Non-Exempt - Hourly (Administrative)
The Line Cook is responsible for preparing a variety of food at the Chef's discretion. The line cook can be seen as somewhat entry-level or simply limited in scope of responsibility when compared to the kitchen operation as a whole. The line cook may operate one or a select few pieces of kitchen cooking equipment (Flat Top, Grill, Saute, Smoker, Salads, and Pantry), but not have a grasp for all facets, and largely focuses on prepping items to be cooked. This position works somewhat autonomously, although the day-to-day responsibilities will be derived from the Sous Chef or Chef. The Line Cook is a fast paced position that's essential for the kitchen to operate at the desired level.
Daily Duties, Functions, Responsibilities
- Complete opening and closing checklists.
- Refer to Daily Prep List at the start of each shift for assigned duties.
- Prepares a variety of meats, seafood, poultry, vegetables and other food items for cooking in broilers, ovens, grills, fryers and a variety of other kitchen equipment.
- Understands and complies consistently with our standard portions sizes, cooking methods, quality standards and kitchen rules, policies and procedures.
- Portions food products prior to cooking according to standard portions sizes and recipe specifications.
- Maintains a clean and sanitary work station area including tables, shelves, walls grills, broilers, fryers, pasta cookers, sauté burners, convection oven, flat top range and refrigeration equipment.
- Close the kitchen properly and follows the closing checklist for kitchen stations. Assists other in closing the kitchen.
- Attends all schedules employee meetings and brings suggestions for improvement.
- Promptly reports equipment and food quality problems to Kitchen Manager.
- Assists the Chef and Sous Chef with kitchen inventory, and food storage.
- May tend to the garden (care and cultivation).
- Inform Kitchen Manager immediately of product shortages.
- Uses our Standard Recipe Card for preparing all products. Do not rely on the memory of yourself or other employees.
- Other duties as assigned.
Physical Conditions and Nature of Work Contacts
- Regular contacts are made with individuals from within the Back of House and Front of House divisions
- Communication is usually cooperative in nature.
- Work takes place in hot, wet, humid, and loud environment for long periods.
- Lifting up to 60 pounds repetitively.
- Conducts work in a standing position; job requires frequent standing, walking, bending, stooping and lifting.
- Requires frequent operation of a variety of kitchen machine/equipment.
- Requires the ability to manipulate large quantities of food, dishware, cookware, etc. with hands.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Minimal knowledge of food and beverage industry - back of house operations
- Ability to manage personal responsibilities in a high-stress, fast-paced working environment
- Ability to use multiple items/pieces of equipment in the kitchen.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
Education and Experience
- Restaurant experience preferred.
- Virginia Drivers License
Back to top