Devils Backbone- Garden Assistant
- Scottsville, VA
The Garden Assistant completes a variety of tasks necessary to support mature and large scale facilities. The primary duty of this position is to maintain and improve the gardens, both ornamental and edible, to a high standard. This position can be a physically demanding position. This position also receives a high level of oversight as to prioritization of tasks and may receive oversight while completing said tasks. Much of the work is cyclical in nature allowing for the position develop routines and take ownership for much of the work.
Daily Duties, Functions, Responsibilities
• Performs basic skill-level duties, which may include all or some of the following landscaping, lawn care, gardening, event set up, and other various duties;
• Operation of basic hand tools;
• Maintains DBBC tools;
• Abides by organizational safety plan and policies;
• Prepares facilities and grounds for events;
• Picks up trash and litter around the facility and disposes of such waste;
• May cultivate plants, gardens, and other aspects of the Agri-Tourism program
• Paints doors, trim and other parts of the facility to ensure routine maintenance;
• Performs routine maintenance on tools and equipment;
• Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Basic knowledge of basic gardening tools and techniques
• Ability to complete tasks without supervision.
• General knowledge of occupational hazards and necessary safety precautions associated with work.
• Ability to interpret technical bulletins and schematics on equipment related to work.
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
• Ability to distinguish color for safety signs.
Education and Experience
• High school diploma.
• Must be 18-years of age.
• Gardening experience required
Physical Conditions and Nature of Work Contacts
• Involves frequent walking, lifting, and carrying objects weighing in excess of 40lbs routinely.
• Requires strenuous tasks including, bending, stooping, lifting.
• Work exposes employee to adverse weather.
• Ability to multi-task effectively.
• Exposes employee to potentially minor injuries.
• Ability to distinguish color for safety signs/placar ds.
The story about Devils Backbone Brewing Company goes like this. Years ago, our founders, Steve and Heidi Crandall, were on a ski trip in the Alps when they tried their first craft beer, a German Weisse at a brewpub.
So to satisfy their thirst for a local haunt that served craft European-style beers, they started a whole brewery complete with a full-on brewpub for locals and visitors. It became a place where folks could drink and tell stories about their time on the trail or ski slope, or all of the above.
They named it Devils Backbone, the same name some brave surveyors, including Thomas Jefferson's dad, Peter, called this hard-to-summit mountain region almost 300 years ago. Kinda poetic, right?
In 2016 Devils Backbone Brewing Company was acquired by Anheuser-Busch. Since then, we've continued to brew award-winning beers that we're proud of, as well as share our beers with more beer friends than ever before!
Well there's your history, and here's a bit of our philosophy: we think being slow by nature is of mighty importance. It's why we take our time brewing our lagers and it's why we're smack dab in the middle of the Blue Ridge Mountains. If you're ever in Virginia, we'd love for you to stop by the brewery and have a beer with us.
Back to top