Devils Backbone- Basecamp Brewpub & Meadows Prep Cook
- Scottsville, VA
The Prep Cook is responsible for preparing and cooking food, preparing it indirectly for service. The Prep Cook is an experienced position in the kitchen with the ability to use all equipment necessary (Flat Top, Grill, Sauté, Deep Fryer, Slicer, Smoker, and Small Equipment), and possess the training and skills to perform all tasks to achieve the highest quality at the Chef's discretion. This position also possesses an element of quality control, maintaining informal oversight of the finished product prior to service including: label, Storage ensuring temperature for storage is correct, portions, etc. This position works primarily autonomously, although the day-to-day responsibilities will be derived from the Sous Chef or Chef. The Prep Cook is a fast paced position that's essential for the kitchen to operate at the desired level.
Daily Duties, Functions, Responsibilities
• Prepares a variety of meats, seafood, poultry, vegetables and other food items for cooking in broilers, ovens, grills, fryers and a variety of other kitchen equipment.
• Assumes 100% responsibilities for quality of products produced.
• Knows and complies consistently with our standard portions sizes, cooking methods, quality standards and kitchen rules, policies and procedures.
• Stocks and maintains sufficient levels of food products at storage stations to assure a smooth service period.
• Portions food products prior to cooking according to standard portion sizes and recipe specifications.
• Maintains a clean and sanitary work station area including tables, sinks, shelves, grills, broilers, fryers, pasta cookers, sauté burners, convection oven, flat top range and refrigeration equipment.
• Prepares item for broiling, grilling, frying, sautéing or other cooking methods by portioning, battering, seasoning and /or marinating.
• Follows proper recipes and garnish set up for all dishes.
• Handles, stores and rotates all products properly.
• Assists in various kitchen assignments during off-peak periods as needed.
• Opens the kitchen properly and follows the opening checklist for kitchen stations. Assists others in opening the kitchen.
• Attends all scheduled employee meetings and brings suggestions for improvement.
• Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Thorough knowledge of food and beverage industry - back of house operations
• Ability to manage personal responsibilities in a high-stress, fast-paced working environment
• Ability to operate all equipment in the kitchen.
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
Education and Experience
• Back of house experience required 12-months.
• Virginia Driver's License
Physical Conditions and Nature of Work Contacts
• Regular contacts are made with individuals from within the Back of House and Front of House divisions
• Communication is usually cooperative in nature.
• Work takes place in hot, wet, humid, and loud environment for long periods.
• Lifting up to 60 pounds repetitively.
• Conducts work in a standing position; job requires frequent standing, walking, bending, stooping and lifting.
• Requires frequent operation of a variety of kitchen machine/equipment.
• Requires the ability to manipulate large quantities of food, dishware, cookware, etc. with hands.
• Requires all compliance with health, safety and CDC regulations for Covid-19
IF YOU LIKE BEER SO MUCH, WHY NOT MAKE IT YOUR JOB? No, seriously. As you can probably tell, we like to have fun around here in the middle of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Our pride and joy is spreading joy to all of our customers. We're a family of beer brewers and pourers, food makers and servers, packagers and shippers, and other job functions. We think we're a pretty good place to develop your talents and build your career, as well as just have fun with a hard-working family.
So if that's appealing to you, then feel free to go ahead and apply to any of our positions below.
Back to top