Vice President, Operations
Andela was founded on a simple truth: brilliance is evenly distributed, but opportunity is not. We unlock that brilliance by giving global companies access to untapped talent across Africa and creating an on-ramp to the digital economy. Andela extends engineering teams with our world-class software developers. We recruit the most talented developers on the African continent, shape them into technical leaders, and place them as full-time distributed team members with companies that range from Microsoft and IBM to dozens of high-growth startups. Backed by Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, GV (Google Ventures) and Spark Capital, Andela is building the next generation of global technology leaders. Passion, excellence, entrepreneurial spirit, and rejecting the status quo are just a few of the things that Andela team members have in common. With over 250 technologist and both start up and Fortune 500 clients across the globe within just 2.5 years, Andela is changing the way companies think about talent and about distributed work. You are someone who believes we can unlock this talent at scale in complex international environments, and you know that if we can, we must.
Our vision is to train 100,000 world-class developers in the next 10 years – and we need you to help make it happen.
About the VP, Operations
As Andela’s VP of Operations you will play a vital role in leading the next phase of the company’s growth.
You know how to solve the ever-present problem of priorities vs. time in a growing startup because you excel in catalyzing high-growth companies through prioritization of strategic goals, repeatable business processes, and high-level analysis.
You are motivated to help lead the operations that will launch careers for thousands of tech leaders across Africa while helping growing tech companies build better products faster. You will help to devise and implement Andela’s strategy for most effectively scaling our values, culture, and business model. Effectively scaling will require across-departmental, cross-cultural mindset and close collaboration with our global departments to find and resolve pain points. You understand that it will take a different approach to operations to build the high quality talent pipeline in Africa necessary to serve the global market. You bring more than passion to your work: you are a world class manager with exceptional operational expertise and demonstrated strong leadership skills.
The VP of Operations is someone who will work extremely hard – who will work at the COO’s pace including significant travel when needed and be able to step in for COO when needed. Highly Intellectual, rational and focused, the VP of Operations is able to analyze data including financials, draw conclusions, present strategy for approval and implement a given strategic direction from idea to completion. You can negotiate at any level of the company and will succeed via strength of preparation and argument - she or he will build strong working relationships by the sheer excellent quality of their work. The VP of Operations will need to understand and integrate all part of the business into his/her thinking: Sales, Marketing, Client Success, Learning and Technology. You will assume primary responsibility for select projects and initiatives as directed.
The VP Operations will be responsible for:
Prioritization of strategic goals
- Better Leverage COO’s time and bandwidth
- Conduct an audit of current structure and workflow to prepare for rapid growth. Create or update necessary workflow and responsibilities for maximum efficiency and effectiveness.
- Anticipate the needs of the COO and be able to step in for COO, as appropriate, including representing her in high-level meetings and discussions including: Key Hires; High Level Liaison both internal and external; Research issues of importance and produce strategy
- Coordinate a team that organizes: Executive assistance, External Writing, scheduling, travel, preparation for meetings and events, and increased scrutiny and ROI on all events
- Proactively find areas of friction or underperformance and take on addressing them.
- Create KPIs in a changing environment and rapidly prioritize and reprioritize based on large strategic goals
- Proactive elevation of issues that could impact the successful execution of the COO’s commitments. Framing ideas to resolve the problem and mitigate risk.
Analysis / Strategy
- Look at the numbers, analyze and ask: “how do we turn this into a replicable process?”
- Conduct research, presentation and talking points for the COO on an array of topics and for a breadth of constituencies.
- Look at several different kinds of data and information, help COO make decisions dispassionately
- See what the rest of us don't, then convince us why we should do what you say to fix it
Building Repeatable Business Processes
- Train others to know what excellent work looks like and insist on excellent work consistently
- Together with COO to build and sustaining an effective support structure for a team of country directors and senior leaders
- Improve administrative operations of Andela Operations including budget development and monitoring, KPI setting and maintenance
- Create and maintain playbooks tracking replicable processes
- 10+ years experience in related field or environment such as tech company from Series C/D to IPO or an advanced operations role in high pressure complex environment
- Strong project management and organizational skills, and the ability to manage multiple priorities in a complex environment are needed.
- EPIC Values alignment
Equal Opportunity Statement:
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
See Inside the Office of Andela
Global companies rely on great developers to launch their ideas into the world. But good talent can be hard to find—it takes energy, time, and money. Enter Andela, an elite engineering organization that scours the African continent for the top technical talent, and places them as full time employees with global technology companies. Andela vets, shapes, and supports only the best of the best so companies can trust their products with Andela-approved developers.
Back to top