Team Lead, Software Engineering
Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africa’s most talented software developers. Based in NYC, SF, Lagos, Nairobi, and Kampala, Andela is catalyzing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage.
About the Team Lead, Software Engineering Position:
As a Team Lead, you will primarily work within the Technology & Learning department leading a team of developers building world-class internal products to support Andela’s business needs.
As the senior member of your team, you will take responsibility for the overall planning, execution and success of complex technical projects. You will work closely with the product management team to ensure we're building the best products that meet Andela users’ needs. You will take pride in building products that are key to helping Andela grow and scale as an organization. You will be responsible for managing the delivery of your work as well as any developers that work under you.
You’re the kind of person who:
- Believes that building great software is more than just delivering working code, that other aspects such as reusability, testability, maintainability, security, and performance are just as important.
- Are constantly learning and expanding your skillsets on and off the job.
- Can mentor entry-level developers willing to become world-class.
- Are a good person: driven by purpose, passion, thirst for knowledge, and the pursuit of a better world.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Ruby, Ruby on Rails
- Postgres, MongoDB, Redis
- Heroku, AWS, SQS, EC2
What makes you a great fit for this role:
- The ability to be located in Lagos, Nigeria or Nairobi, Kenya.
- 2-5 years of software development experience
- Experience leading a team of software engineers in an agile environment (daily standups, sprint planning, retrospectives, etc)
- TDD and pair programming experience
- Experience setting up and managing a continuous integration or a continuous delivery process
- Experience with service oriented architectures, distributed systems, and messaging queues.
- A Bachelor's or advanced degree Software Engineering, Computer Science or related field.
At Andela, we outcompete through diversity. We know that our strengths lies in the multiplicity of talents, perspectives, backgrounds & orientations resident in our community and we take pride in that. Andela is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to work in a professional atmosphere that promotes equal employment opportunities and prohibits discriminatory practices. Andela provides equal employment opportunities and workplace to all employees and applicants without regard to factors including but not limited to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy (including breastfeeding), genetic information, HIV/AIDS or any other medical status, family or parental status, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This commitment applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Our policies expressly prohibit any form of harassment and/or discrimination as stated above.
Andela is home for all, come as you are.
See Inside the Office of Andela
Global companies rely on great developers to launch their ideas into the world. But good talent can be hard to find—it takes energy, time, and money. Enter Andela, an elite engineering organization that scours the African continent for the top technical talent, and places them as full time employees with global technology companies. Andela vets, shapes, and supports only the best of the best so companies can trust their products with Andela-approved developers.
Back to top