Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africa’s most talented software developers. Based in NYC, SF, Lagos, Nairobi, and Kampala, Andela is catalyzing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage.
About the Systems Architect role
The Systems Architect is the seer. They look at existing software systems, point out the inefficiencies that exist in those systems, and offer recommendations on how to improve those systems holistically. They look at problems, dream up solutions, and map out different technology components that can be built and connected together to solve those problems efficiently for scale and performance.
This individual knows what makes a reliable, and scalable software system. They consistently exceed the standards of everyone around you, but you rarely exceed their own standards.
They love to look at software systems holistically, dissecting them into small components, while exploring which permutations offer the most reliability and scalability. They also love to convert user requirements into architectural recommendations designed for scale and reliability.
They are passionate about sharing this expertise of theirs with others, and are committed to facilitating environments that enable learners to succeed.
Key Responsibilities of the Role:
- Manage the architecture of Learning products, keeping us in line or above the line of global industry standards
- Mentors and guides apprentices on the best practices for architecting software systems
- Build a group of global thought leaders in software systems architecture
Qualifications and Characteristics:
You’re a good fit for this role if you:
- successfully worked as a software architect. As an engineer you’ve worked on software products in each phase of the software development lifecycle.
- (with and without a team) have generated architectural artefacts that describe how pieces of software should be built by engineering teams.
- understand that for the future of technology to be written in Africa, Africa needs software products that can stand the test of time while supporting Africa’s incredible projected population growth
Benefits & Compensation
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Lunch and snacks provided daily
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the planet
- Oh, and a chance to change the world!
At Andela, we outcompete through diversity. We know that our strengths lies in the multiplicity of talents, perspectives, backgrounds & orientations resident in our community and we take pride in that. Andela is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to work in a professional atmosphere that promotes equal employment opportunities and prohibits discriminatory practices. Andela provides equal employment opportunities and workplace to all employees and applicants without regard to factors including but not limited to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy (including breastfeeding), genetic information, HIV/AIDS or any other medical status, family or parental status, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This commitment applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Our policies expressly prohibit any form of harassment and/or discrimination as stated above.
Andela is home for all, come as you are.
See Inside the Office of Andela
Global companies rely on great developers to launch their ideas into the world. But good talent can be hard to find—it takes energy, time, and money. Enter Andela, an elite engineering organization that scours the African continent for the top technical talent, and places them as full time employees with global technology companies. Andela vets, shapes, and supports only the best of the best so companies can trust their products with Andela-approved developers.
Back to top