Software Engineer - Back End
- Flexible / Remote
Where You’ll Work
Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africa’s most talented software engineers.
Based globally and operating remotely, Andela is catalyzing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage.
What You’ll Do
Our Andelan Software Engineers are masters of consistent execution. They reliably deliver technical and professional value to our teams and our partners. Working with Andela gives you and opportunity to work with the brightest minds inside and outside of your field and a chance to change the world for the better.
- Use your knowledge in your core technology to delight our partners around the world.
- Mentor and onboard junior engineers, by consistently displaying sound judgement, setting expectations, and working effectively, both independently and as part of a global team.
- Collaborate excellently with peers and stakeholders in fast-paced distributed teams, through a love of constructive feedback, dedication and universal respect.
What You’ll Bring
All Andela engineers go above and beyond. To find out more about additional suggested competencies, check out our engineer framework.
A minimum of 3 years of professional experience, during which you’ve built technical expertise and professionalism.
- Working knowledge of Object-Oriented Programming concepts i.e Classes and objects, Inheritance, Encapsulation and Polymorphism.
- Good understanding of fundamental database concepts - relational (SQL) database, non-relational (NoSQL) database and ORMs/ODMs
- Working knowledge of core data structures
- Experience working with of software engineering collaboration tools
- Experience with architecture and design principles, building to consider maintainability, performance, security requirements, and impact.
- Familiarity with at least one cloud hosting platform --(ex: AWS, GCP)
- Comfort working within agile methodologies and experienced in estimation and time management
- Intermediate understanding of unit and integration testing, and testing frameworks/libraries -- PyTest, Nose, Jasmine, Mocha, Jest
- Strong preference for test-driven-development (TDD) and understands its importance
- Experience having worked with at least one Web Framework for your language of choice
- Comfort and familiarity with code editor and formatting tools
- Familiarity with at least one web server technology -- (ex: Apache, Nginx)
- Working knowledge of at least one CI/CD tool -- Jenkins, Travis CI, Circle CI
- Familiarity with containerization and orchestration techniques
- Strong ability to problem-solve, debug, and understand pertinent performance metrics
- Knowledge of unit, integration, e2e and UI testing, with at least one relevant testing framework
- Familiarity with containerization infrastructure and orchestration
- Awareness of the capabilities of applicable languages/frameworks/libraries as well as the inherent differences between them in order to understand trade-offs and make recommendations.
NOTE: All the experience listed above is the minimum requirement. For more information on requirements for the various levels of seniority, please view our engineer framework.
What You’ll Get
- Competitive compensation
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds inside and outside of your field
- A chance to change the world for the better
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Back to top