Senior Software Engineer
Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africa’s most talented software developers. Based in NYC, SF, Lagos, Cairo, Nairobi, Kigali and Kampala; Andela is catalyzing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage.
About the Senior Software Engineer Position:
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will primarily work as a Lead Engineer for one of Andela’s clients. Andela Senior Engineers are skilled at writing complex applications, have a deep understanding of application lifecycles, databases and services. They are passionate about guidance and mentorship to more junior developers.
The specific responsibilities of the Senior Software Engineer position include:
- Interfacing with your client to understand their business, goals and visions for products being supported by an Andela Team
- Performing high quality work that not only meets the need of the client, but surpasses it.
- If you are managing a team:
- Ensuring that our engineers are able to understand the business context and value of their tasks, as well as how it impacts users
- Prioritizing the work that your team is responsible for to ensure that you’re always working on the highest value work that helps your clients meet their objectives
- Working with our engineers to decompose high level stories into smaller, specific tasks and provide high level design support to help them understand how to solve specific coding challenges
- Provide technical guidance and oversight to ensure that the work delivered is in accordance with the technical standards of your client
- Encouraging a collaborative team environment
- Regularly reporting the status of your team both to your client as well as senior members of Andela’s Partner Engineering Department.
Qualifications & Characteristics
As the ideal candidate for this role you:
- Are active in the technology ecosystem in your city ex: you organize meet ups, speak at conferences and are active on github
- Are able to pass our Tech Skills Assessment
- May have a four-year degree in Engineering, Computer Science or a related field from an accredited university
- Have at least 4 years of experience working in software development
- Is proficient ideally in ANY TWO of the following stacks and/or experience in:
- Python (Django/Flask)
- PHP (Lumen/Laravel)
- iOS (Swift/Objective C)
- Android (Java/Kotlin)
- Ruby (Ruby on Rails)
- Have experience leading technical teams using Agile methodologies;
- Have experience working remotely as an effective member of a team;
- Have a vibrant personality and exceptional communication skills (English, verbal and written)
- A strong desire to mentor other developers;
- Have the ability to build rapport and communicate with individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds;
- Have excellent interpersonal skills;
- Have strong leadership skills;
- Strongly motivated by our social mission of training 100,000 young Africans in the next 10 years.
Meet Some of Andela's Employees
Chantal K.Internal Communications Lead
Chantal makes sure that every Andelan feels personally connected to what the company is doing and knows how their individual role ties into the larger company goals.
Back to top