Senior Software Engineer
Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africa’s most talented software developers. Based in NYC, SF, Lagos, Cairo, Nairobi, Kigali and Kampala; Andela is catalyzing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage.
About the Senior Software Engineer Position:
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will primarily work as a Lead Engineer for one of Andela’s clients. Andela Senior Engineers are skilled at writing complex applications, have a deep understanding of application lifecycles, databases and services. They are passionate about guidance and mentorship to more junior developers.
The specific responsibilities of the Senior Software Engineer position include:
- Interfacing with your client to understand their business, goals and visions for products being supported by an Andela Team
- Performing high quality work that not only meets the need of the client, but surpasses it.
- If you are managing a team:
- Ensuring that our engineers are able to understand the business context and value of their tasks, as well as how it impacts users
- Prioritizing the work that your team is responsible for to ensure that you’re always working on the highest value work that helps your clients meet their objectives
- Working with our engineers to decompose high level stories into smaller, specific tasks and provide high level design support to help them understand how to solve specific coding challenges
- Provide technical guidance and oversight to ensure that the work delivered is in accordance with the technical standards of your client
- Encouraging a collaborative team environment
- Regularly reporting the status of your team both to your client as well as senior members of Andela’s Partner Engineering Department.
Qualifications & Characteristics
As the ideal candidate for this role you:
- Are active in the technology ecosystem in your city ex: you organize meet ups, speak at conferences and are active on github
- Are able to pass our Tech Skills Assessment
- May have a four-year degree in Engineering, Computer Science or a related field from an accredited university
- Have at least 4 years of experience working in software development
- Is proficient ideally in ANY TWO of the following stacks and/or experience in:
- Python (Django/Flask)
- PHP (Lumen/Laravel)
- iOS (Swift/Objective C)
- Android (Java/Kotlin)
- Ruby (Ruby on Rails)
- Have experience leading technical teams using Agile methodologies;
- Have experience working remotely as an effective member of a team;
- Have a vibrant personality and exceptional communication skills (English, verbal and written)
- A strong desire to mentor other developers;
- Have the ability to build rapport and communicate with individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds;
- Have excellent interpersonal skills;
- Have strong leadership skills;
- Strongly motivated by our social mission of training 100,000 young Africans in the next 10 years.
Back to top