Project Manager-New Facility
Type: 12 month Contract.
Experience: Mid-to-Senior Level
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Andela is developing a corps of high-quality technology talent across the African continent that will drive the current and future phases of tech-enabled growth around the world. With the fastest growing population and highest youth population in the world, we believe Africa is one of the greatest untapped markets for talent development.
Andela extends engineering teams with world-class software developers. We recruit the most talented developers on the African continent, shape them into technical leaders, and place them as full-time distributed team members with companies that range from Microsoft and IBM to dozens of high-growth startups. Backed by Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, GV (Google Ventures) and Spark Capital, Andela is building the next generation of global technology leaders. Passion, excellence, entrepreneurial spirit, and rejecting the status quo are just a few of the things that Andela team members have in common.
We have a vision to train 100,000 world-class developers in the next 10 years – and we want you to help make it happen
About the Project Manager
The Project Manager is charged with project managing the build out and renovation of Andela Kenya’s new 2.72 acre headquarters and the movement of all people and equipment at its current facility to the new space. The Project Manager will be responsible for liaising with an architect/designer, keeping costs under budget, sticking to tight deadlines, managing vendors, making purchases, planning telecommunications, etc. The new headquarters will include both living quarters and working space. Currently, Andela Kenya’s staff of 80 is based in the Kilimani Area, on a campus affectionately named “The Dojo.” The new facility, with a capacity of 1000, is located in the Garden Estate. Successful management of this project would require the Project Manager to meet all deadlines and keep all costs under budget while building Andela’s future home in Kenya.
The Project Manager would be part of the Operations team and report directly to the Andela Kenya Country Director. This is a temporary position that would last through the length of this specific project. There is potential, if performance is exceptional, that this grows into a permanent position within the Operations team.
We are looking for a detail-oriented, experienced Project Manager, who is passionate about Andela’s mission. The right candidate will have experience with project management tools, managing vendors, similar-scale build-outs, and creating and following budgets. Candidates with existing connections in the Nairobi area are a plus. The Project Manager we are looking for will be decisive, self motivated, and have a positive attitude.
The specific responsibilities of the Project Manager will include:
- Keeping the project on schedule with the exact timeline discussed at the time of hire.
- Keeping the project at or under budget with the exact budget determined at the start of the project.
- Liaising with the project architect, ensuring all needed facilities are built for Andela’s headquarters.
- Managing all vendors associated with the build-out: painters, landscapers, plumbers, carpenters, electricians, designers, etc.
- Ensuring all forms of telecommunication are up and running at needed capacity for the center, with emergency redundancies in place.
- Communicating effectively and efficiently with the Andela Kenya Country Director to ensure he is able to easily access project progress and budget.
Qualifications & Characteristics
The ideal candidate for this role should:
- Education background preferably in the field of Engineering.
- Have proven working experience as a Project Manager.
- Have experience working as lead on a similarly sized or larger project.
- Be a self-starter who can accomplish tasks with minimal supervision.
- Be an excellent, timely, clear communicator via email and phone.
- Have experience in creating and following budgets.
- Have proficiency in Mac.
- Have proficiency with Excel and Google Sheets.
- Have experience with with project management tools.
- Have vendor connections in the Nairobi area.
- Have good knowledge of and be passionate about Andela’s mission and vision.
Benefits & Compensation
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Lunch and snacks provided daily
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the planet
- Oh, and a chance to change the world!
Again, note, that this is a temporary position that would last through the length of this specific project. There is potential, if performance is exceptional, that this grows into a permanent position within the Operations team.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Back to top