Principal Software Engineer - Front End
Where You’ll Work
Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africa’s most talented software engineers.
Based in NYC, SF, Kigali, Cairo, Lagos, Nairobi, Accra and Kampala, Andela is catalyzing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage.
What You’ll Do
Our Andelan Principal Engineers are renowned for their technical prowess. They are admired and respected for the depth of their technical expertise and leadership.
- Use your expert knowledge, in your core technology or set of technologies, to delight our partners around the world.
- Make meaningful and impactful technical decisions with a keen understanding of the operational ramifications.
- Lead fast-paced teams through change, while delivering value, unparalleled enthusiasm, and a relentless commitment to excellence.
What You’ll Bring
All Andela engineers go above and beyond. To find out more about additional suggested competencies, check out our engineer framework.
A minimum of 6-12 years of professional experience, during which they’ve built deep technical expertise and demonstrated technical leadership.
- Deep knowledge of at least one front-end framework -- React, Angular, Vue
- Working knowledge of at least one CSS framework -- Bootstrap, Materialize CSS, Semantic UI
- Leadership skills with a high amount of emotional intelligence. You’ve led teams, initiatives, and a range of technical working sessions
- Demonstrated experience of having taken large-scale initiatives from conception through to production, while continuing to support, optimize, and iterate
- Extensive experience with architecture and design principles, building to consider maintainability, performance, security requirements, and impact.
- Strong ability to problem-solve, debug, and understand pertinent performance metrics
- Strong preference for test-driven-development (TDD) and understanding of its importance
- Deep knowledge of unit and integration testing and testing frameworks/libraries (Ex: Jest, Jasmine, Mocha)
- Confident working with tools and editors-- (ex: Grunt, Sublime, Atom, JSLint)
- Measured experience with unit, integration, e2e and UI testing, with at least one relevant testing framework
- Expert leveraging software-development lifecycle (SDLC) methodologies, (such as agile) to drive positive personal/team outcomes to increase velocity and on-time delivery
- Experience having developed performance budgets, a deep knowledge of at least one analytics system, and understanding of how to optimize to deliver against key business metrics
- Experience using ESLint and module builders
- Practiced at learning by sharing knowledge via means such as mentorship, engagement within a technical community, contributions to open source, etc.
- Familiarity with containerization infrastructure and orchestration
What You’ll Get*
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Lunch and snacks provided daily
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds inside and outside of your field
- A chance to change the world for the better
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
*May vary slightly based on location
Back to top