Principal Engineer - Frontend (Technology)
Marc Andreessen, co-founder of the venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz wrote: “software is eating the world.” That statement is just as true today as it was eight years ago. Software is embedded in our day-to-day, and few industries are immune. Peek behind the code and you will find brilliant engineers pushing the boundaries of what is possible.
Talk to any engineering leader and they will tell you that access to talent is their number one barrier to building software and growing their business. Research the industry and you read about the 1 million computer-programming jobs that will go unfilled in 2020.
That is where Andela comes in. We help engineering leaders at companies big and small bridge that gap. We are building tools, systems and processes to connect talent, no matter where they live, with the opportunities to do great things. To date, we have identified 1,000+ software engineers from Africa and placed them as full-time, embedded members of development teams at over 200+ tech companies. Along the way, we have raised $180M from Al Gore’s venture fund, Generation Partners, Google Ventures, Spark Capital, the Chan-Zuckerberg Initiative and Serena Ventures.
And we are just getting started.
All of our people live and breathe our E.P.I.C values:
- Excellence: We are lifelong learners who strive for mastery of our craft
- Passion: We believe we are going to change the world and act accordingly
- Integrity: We choose extraordinary people and then trust them to do the right thing
- Collaboration: We know our sum is greater than our parts
What You’ll Do
In this role, you will work as a Principle Frontend Engineer within the Technology organization, building world-class internal and customer facing products to support Andela’s business needs.
Our Andelan Principal Engineers are renowned for their technical prowess. They are admired and respected for the depth of their technical expertise and leadership.
- Use your expert knowledge to deliver complex software solutions that will delight our partners around the world.
- Make meaningful and impactful technical decisions with a keen understanding of the operational ramifications.
- Share responsibility for strategically scaling Andela’s systems.
- Bring vision to the team in the form of new technology recommendations, ideas, and approaches.
- Provide technical leadership to fast-paced teams, while delivering value, unparalleled enthusiasm, and a relentless commitment to excellence.
- Build great software while continuously learning and expanding your skill set.
What You’ll Bring
All Andela engineers go above and beyond. To find out more about additional suggested competencies, check out our engineer framework.
A minimum of 6 years professional experience, during which you’ve built deep technical expertise and demonstrated technical leadership.
- Expertise in building modern Angular based Single Page Applications
- Extensive experience working with fundamental front-end languages/technologies, HTML, CSS, Sass (SCSS) framework
- Expertise in design and management of large scale, secure, cloud based software deployment environments
- Strong ability to problem-solve, debug, and understand pertinent performance metrics
- Extensive experience with architecture and design principles, building to consider maintainability, performance, security requirements, and impact
- Deep knowledge of unit/integration testing, and testing frameworks/libraries
- Comfort working within agile methodologies and experienced in estimation and time management
- Excellent soft skills that enable you to lead and empower your team, and deliver the highest value
- Mentorship experience that helps others in approaching and solving for ambiguous efforts
- Strong understanding of business practices, engineering process, and industry trends
- Expertise with the following specific tools:
- Google Cloud Platform
- Frontend UI component library, Angular Material
- Linting tools, ESLint
- Testing frameworks, Jasmine, Karma
- Containerization tools, Docker, Kubernetes
- Cloud based CI/CD tools, CircleCI, CodeClimate
At Andela, we outcompete through diversity. We know that our strengths lies in the multiplicity of talents, perspectives, backgrounds & orientations resident in our community and we take pride in that. Andela is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to work in a professional atmosphere that promotes equal employment opportunities and prohibits discriminatory practices. Andela provides equal employment opportunities and workplace to all employees and applicants without regard to factors including but not limited to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy (including breastfeeding), genetic information, HIV/AIDS or any other medical status, family or parental status, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This commitment applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Our policies expressly prohibit any form of harassment and/or discrimination as stated above.
Andela is home for all, come as you are.
Back to top