Lead Android Engineer
Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africa’s most talented software developers. Based in NYC, SF, Lagos, Nairobi, and Kampala, Andela is catalyzing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage.
About the Lead, Android Engineer Position:
Do you have the potential, skills, and desire to become one of the top 10% Technology Leaders in the world?
At Andela, we believe that Technology Leaders are defined by their ability to model, capture, and transfer the mindset and best practices of their craft to any technology professional from entry level developers to senior software engineers.
In this role you will nurture that expertise by daily investing in the next generation of African technology leaders to gain the skills needed to be globally employable software developers.
Role and responsibilities
- Drive teams of software developers (junior and senior) to rapidly develop great software products
- Inspire and Mentor aspiring Software Developers and Software Development Learning Facilitators
- Support the learning and professional development of dozens of Africa's most talented software developers every day
- Deliver actionable feedback and support multiple learners to grow significantly
- Drive creative solutions that improve the standard of our software products and learning programs
- Model Technical Leadership that other Facilitators can look up to and learn from
- Take ownership of our vision and help us innovate, grow, and thrive as a department and an organization
- Collaboratively and passionately deliver excellent work with integrity everyday
- Continuously level up your own skills and grow with the organization
What makes you a great fit for this role:
- The ideal candidate for the role MUST have experience with the following:
- Minimum 4 years working experience (or equivalent experience with multiple professional software development product teams) in Mobile Development
- Android SDK
- Android Studio
- Android Material Design Guidelines
- Experience with Agile Software Development Techniques and Tools
- SCRUM/Kanban/Extreme Programming
- Trello/Pivotal Tracker/Zenhub
- Version Control (Github/Bitbucket)
- Continuous Integration
- Leading teams to build and deploy Professional Software Products
- Relational/Business/People/Soft Skills experience
- EPIC Values alignment
- Demonstrable commitment to the learning & development of people and technology
- The ability to learn new things fast whilst delivering value on it simultaneously
- Other desirable skills that it would be nice for an ideal candidate to have experience in include:
- Software Development Instructional Design
- Curriculum design
- Program development
- Setup Workshops, Bootcamps, Developer Groups or Forums
- Mentorship or Coaching in Software Engineering
- Facilitated learning in a structured learning environment
- Mentored or coached upcoming developers in a structured or unstructured setting
- Spoke at Tech Forums or workshops
At Andela, we outcompete through diversity. We know that our strengths lies in the multiplicity of talents, perspectives, backgrounds & orientations resident in our community and we take pride in that. Andela is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to work in a professional atmosphere that promotes equal employment opportunities and prohibits discriminatory practices. Andela provides equal employment opportunities and workplace to all employees and applicants without regard to factors including but not limited to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy (including breastfeeding), genetic information, HIV/AIDS or any other medical status, family or parental status, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This commitment applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Our policies expressly prohibit any form of harassment and/or discrimination as stated above.
Andela is home for all, come as you are.
See Inside the Office of Andela
Global companies rely on great developers to launch their ideas into the world. But good talent can be hard to find—it takes energy, time, and money. Enter Andela, an elite engineering organization that scours the African continent for the top technical talent, and places them as full time employees with global technology companies. Andela vets, shapes, and supports only the best of the best so companies can trust their products with Andela-approved developers.
Back to top