Head of Security
Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africa’s most talented software developers. Based in NYC, SF, Cairo, Lagos, Nairobi, Kigali and Kampala, Andela is catalyzing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage.
About the role
The overall purpose of this role is to develop security risk control capabilities and pro-actively lead security management through continued education, training and prevention initiatives. We are looking for an intelligent and highly networked individual who has a passion for Corporate Security. If this is you, then we’d love to welcome you to a fast-paced team of innovators that know how to get the job done.
- Develop, implement, review and maintain a viable Security Strategy for the organization to ensure an effective & efficient security process at Andela Kenya.
- Constitute a disaster management team and offer leadership and training to the team.
- Formulate an overall security policy for senior management acceptance.
- Develop, implement and review security standards operating procedures and practices.
- Effective liaison, coordination and networking with governments authorities, law enforcement agencies, relevant national and international agencies and security stakeholders.
- Ensure an effective risk analysis, threat assessment and response capability.
- Initiating special security measures during periods/instances of increased threat.
- Ensure that all critical areas of security concern are adequately covered in the security plan and are effectively managed, monitored and controlled.
- Represent the company in operational, coordinative and consultative security meetings and forums.
- Ensure good working relationship with the Government, Kenya Police, INTERPOL as well as Security divisions of diplomatic offices for up to date information.
- Prepare, monitor & control the security budget to ensure effective cost control.
- Undertake regular audits, research, surveys and investigations to continuously improve security management through regular review of policies, procedures and processes in relation to findings.
- Source and monitor the effectiveness of third party security services in liaison with the Facilities Manager.
- Provide specialized advice to line management in all security functions, protection, Intelligence, information and investigation.
- Ensure ongoing compliance with all regulatory requirement, organization standards and local security procedures.
- Carry out conclusive investigations on incidents and accidents in order to create a safe environment and prevent recurrence.
- Act as a link between the organization and the police in security matters.
- Prepare weekly reports on the general security status of the organization to keep management updated on security issues.
- Plan for and ensure consistent maintenance of all security equipment such as CCTV, Access control system to ensure they are in good serviceable condition.
- Institute security internal controls to prevent occurrence and recurrence of security threats.
- Any other duties as assigned by immediate supervisor.
- Professional certification in Criminology / Security related field.
- 7 years’ experience (3 in police force) 4 years in a similar position.
- Capable of accurately making critically important decisions with little information and time.
- High-level analytic and computer skills
- Multitasking skills, including the ability to answer multiple phone lines, prioritize alarms, and efficiently dispatch contracted security officers while receiving visitors, issuing/altering/deactivating ID badges, responding to emails, and monitoring CCTV equipment.
- Keen on operational excellence and process improvements to achieve efficiency and effectiveness.
- Keen on detail with a high degree of accuracy.
- Investigation skills.
- Demonstrated leadership and managerial capabilities.
- Prior experience managing a section in a busy environment.
- Exceptional planning and organization skills.
- Excellent communication, analytical and report writing skills.
EPIC Values Alignment
Demonstrable commitment to the learning & development of people and technology
The ability to learn new things fast enough to amaze your friends and family
If the above sounds like an exciting role to you, please tell us why you believe you’re a good fit and we’ll be in touch.
Benefits & Compensation
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Breakfast, lunch and snacks provided daily
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the planet
- Oh, and a chance to change the world!
At Andela, we outcompete through diversity. We know that our strengths lies in the multiplicity of talents, perspectives, backgrounds & orientations resident in our community and we take pride in that. Andela is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to work in a professional atmosphere that promotes equal employment opportunities and prohibits discriminatory practices. Andela provides equal employment opportunities and workplace to all employees and applicants without regard to factors including but not limited to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy (including breastfeeding), genetic information, HIV/AIDS or any other medical status, family or parental status, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This commitment applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Our policies expressly prohibit any form of harassment and/or discrimination as stated above.
Andela is home for all, come as you are.
Back to top