Job Title: Career Counselor
Job Location: Nairobi
Educational Qualifications: Bachelor's Degree in Social Sciences with preferable experience in counseling. Must be computer literate and fluent in English
Andela is developing a corps of high-quality technology talent across the African continent that will drive the current and future phases of tech-enabled growth around the world. With the fastest growing population and highest youth population in the world, we believe Africa is one of the greatest untapped markets for talent development.
Andela extends engineering teams with world-class software developers. We recruit the most talented developers on the African continent, shape them into technical leaders, and place them as full-time distributed team members with companies that range from Microsoft and IBM to dozens of high-growth startups. Backed by Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, GV (Google Ventures) and Spark Capital, Andela is building the next generation of global technology leaders. Passion, excellence, entrepreneurial spirit, and rejecting the status quo are just a few of the things that Andela team members have in common.
We have a vision to train 100,000 world-class developers in the next 10 years – and we want you to help make it happen.
As the Andela Career Counselor, you will be responsible for taking Fellow’s individual educational history, personality, interests and skills into account and support the Fellows by suggesting Careers based on their backgrounds and abilities.
- Assess Fellows' personal characteristics, skills and interests via one-on-one interviews and/or group sessions;
- Provide appropriate help, advice and recommendations based on interviews/test results;
- Be a subject matter expert on existing and emerging technology-related career paths;
- Support Fellows with the management of their own careers by developing career plans that cover their time at Andela as well as what they want to do when they graduate from the Fellowship
- Check in with the Fellows at least quarterly to ensure that they are making progress on their career plans or updating it to reflect their new interests or options made available
- Compile data from all the Fellow career plans to ensure that Andela is offering the necessary training to support the most desired career options.
- Coordinate a variety of events and programs (e.g. Fellow assessments, presentations, career fairs, etc.)
- Evaluates Success initiatives for the purpose of modifying and/or enhancing program structure.
- Maintain liaisons with employers, community leaders and organizations for the purpose of building resources and expanding program opportunities for eligible Fellows.
- Act as lead advisor to the Fellows by providing career, academic and personal guidance.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Passion for our mission
- Experience in guiding people to make the right decision versus making it for them
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills and demonstrable creativity.
- The successful candidate must possess both the ability and the willingness to work independently and act on her/his independent judgment.
- Has worked in a technical company or has other relevant experience in understanding technical roles and career paths
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Experience in clarifying objectives, dealing with ambiguity/under-defined problems, advocating for simplification, and influencing team members
- Can work independently
Back to top