Science Perspectives Editor
The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) seeks a talented individual to serve as a Science Perspectives Editor for Science Magazine.
This is an opportunity to join a dynamic and committed editorial team in creating the Insights section of Science each week. The ideal candidate will be passionate about scientific research and discovery across scientific fields, and will play an essential role in the acquisition, selection, and communication of commentaries on research findings as well as on issues of interest to the broad scientific community. Science seeks an editor who will deliver compelling content to its broad, international readership and contribute creatively to further the strategic goals of Science’s Insights section and the magazine as a whole.
Major duties and responsibilities:
- Edits 2 to 3 “perspectives” commentaries per week
- Works with research editors and scientist authors to ensure that the communication goal for each piece is met
- Works with artists and designers to develop concepts and identify appropriate art to illustrate the message of the perspective
- Works with digital media to enhance content
- Actively researches ideas, topics, and authors for perspectives and other commentary pieces
- Regularly solicits content and evaluates proposals for content in the Insights section
- Ph.D. in life sciences
- Strong ability to grasp complex science across disciplines
- Experience writing and editing scientific content for a broad audience
- Post-doctoral research experience plus editing experience
- Experience with digital content, multi-media is a plus
- Superior communication skills and ability to work successfully on a team
- Driven to prioritize and meet strict deadlines
- Motivated to travel to scientific meetings to stay abreast of new research
- MS Office, Adobe Professional Familiarity with K4 a plus
- Exceptional organizational skills and interpersonal skills
AAAS is an EO employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected category. AAAS uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees.
Back to top