The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) seeks a detail-oriented Executive Assistant to provide high-level administrative support in a fast-paced environment to the Editor-in-Chief and the Executive Editor of the Science family of journals.
Major duties and responsibilities:
- Schedules meetings, arranges conference calls, manages calendar, prepares correspondence, and coordinates schedule for the Editor-in-Chief
- Reviews and processes expense reports for all Science Editorial staff and assists with the development and monitoring of departmental budgets
- Drafts correspondence and handles information requests for the Executive Editor
- Provides administrative and budgetary support for grant activities; including preparing budget proposals, drafting reports and correspondence, processing invoices, preparing financial reports, organizing meetings, and coordinating conference calls
- Plans the Editors’ Retreat and other meetings (i.e., mini-retreats, focus groups)
- Liaises with internal departments and external vendors, ranging from low to high profile status
- Serves on committees and attends meetings as the departmental representative, as requested
- Coordinates domestic and international travel and/or lodging arrangements for Editor-in-Chief, special visitors, and interviewees
- Other projects and tasks as assigned
- Extensive university or college level training leading to a Bachelor’s degree (any field accepted, though exposure to science and/or writing preferred)
- Three to five years of relevant professional experience, to include previous administrative experience
- Previous experience planning, organizing, and coordinating special events and business meetings
- Fine-grade attention to detail, especially focusing on scheduling and logistical details and proofreading; ability to anticipate and plan for needs of executive staff
- Flexibility, resourcefulness, and ability to manage a variety of tasks simultaneously, set priorities for multiple projects, meet multiple deadlines under pressure, and work through disruptions/interruptions
- Superior communication and listening skills
- Ability to work effectively independently, without constant supervision; pro-active, take-charge work style
- Experience handling expense reports and providing budgetary support
- Experience with contemporary software packages including MS Word and Excel; MS SharePoint experience strongly desired
- Diplomatic nature and comfort working with people at all levels of the organization; to include individuals from different disciplinary and cultural backgrounds, stakeholders in academia, government, foundation, corporate, and non-profit sectors
AAAS is an EO employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected category. AAAS uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees.
Meet Some of American Association For The Advancement of Science's Employees
Director, Editorial Content Strategy, EurekAlert!
Brian supervises the editorial operations at EurekAlert!, an editorially independent nonprofit science news service operated by AAAS that helps reporters and public information officers communicate science to the general public.
Back to top