System Development Engineer
Amazon Lab126 is an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronics. Lab126 began in 2004 as a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., originally creating the best-selling Kindle family of products. Since then, we have produced groundbreaking devices like Fire tablets, Fire TV and Amazon Echo. What will you help us create?
As a System Development Engineer, you will be responsible for building and managing the systems environments used by Amazon's Digital Devices teams. You will coordinate with our Hardware, Software Engineering and Operations teams to develop an efficient, powerful environment to realize business critical developments and leverage design data across our organization.
The Systems Development Engineers within our team are instrumental in creating, automating, implementing and scaling distributed systems. We are seeking passionate engineers with strong Linux systems engineering skills who proactively automate away problems and constantly look to improve quality of service for our customers.
As a Systems Development Engineer, you must be responsive, flexible, and able to succeed within a collaborative design environment. In this role, you will:
- Be responsible for evaluating, designing, and implementing systems that will support a forward-thinking product development group using custom and 3rd party software tools for new product development
- Work closely with engineering and business teams to plan, design, analyze, develop, and implement systems for product development such as design simulation, product data management
- Identify areas to improve and optimize new product development processes
- Prepare requirements and provide technical leadership in evaluating, integrating, and deploying system solutions
- Evaluate application systems for functionality, identify gaps, and measure solution impact to business operations
The ideal candidate must demonstrate a strong working knowledge of Systems Development Engineering and be skilled in writing code for systems development. The candidate will rely on self-motivation, a desire to learn from new challenges, and their strong problem solving & communication skills to work within a highly interactive and experienced team to accomplish goals. The candidates must demonstrate an ability to integrate feedback and prove their adaptability to quickly changing contexts and work environments. The candidate will have a strong background in Linux and preferably experience working within Engineering DevOps environments.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field
- 3+ years of hands-on professional experience in Linux system development and systems engineering
- 3+ software development skills in one or more of Java, Perl, Python, Ruby
- Working knowledge of networking and security fundamentals
- Experience administering virtual infrastructure on cloud platforms, (e.g. Amazon Web services)
- Master's degree in Computer Science
- Experience with AWS, (EC2/VPC/RDS)
- Experience with MySQL/Open Source DBs
- Experience with Job Queuing System, e.g. SGE, LSF
- Experience developing experimental techniques to investigate and find solutions to unique and difficult problems
- Excellent judgment, organizational and problem solving skills
- Strong written and verbalcommunication skills
Meet Some of Amazon Lab126's Employees
Senior Manager, Hardware Reliability Engineering
Guneet leads the Hardware Reliability Development Team that works on the Kindle, Fire, and Amazon Echo family of products. Guneet's team plays an essential role in making products like Fire tablets robust and reliable so customers can use them for years.
Back to top