Sr. Software Development Manager
Amazon Lab126 is an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronics. Lab126 began in 2004 as a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., originally creating the best-selling Kindle family of products. Since then, we have produced groundbreaking devices like Fire tablets, Fire TV, and Amazon Echo. What will you help us create?
Do you want to shape the future of the Amazon Smart Home and Internet of Things space? Come and join us! Our team is developing cutting-edge technologies to define the smart home space, leveraging the Amazon Alexa speech platform and Amazon Web Services. We are looking for an experienced software development manager to dive into an ambiguous problem space and design and deliver innovative software solutions that put the "Smart" in Smart Home.
You'll be digging into the possibilities unlocked when we embed technology into internet-connected, physical things in the home. If you want to be at the hub of enabling the next wave of innovation in technology, we have a role for you.
As a Senior Software Development Manager, you will be responsible for hiring and leading a team of software engineers in designing and building innovative IoT software solutions for consumers. In this position you will partner with product managers, project managers, user experience designers and other software development teams. A successful candidate will have an established background with strong technical ability, excellent project management skills, great communication skills and motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment.
The Senior Software Development Manager will provide technical leadership and management for a team of experienced software developers. This hands-on position requires broad engineering competence and in-depth technical knowledge of embedded software development, as well as demonstrated experience successfully planning, organizing and conducting software development projects in a dynamic environment.
The leader we are looking for will bring proven experience building, managing and mentoring engineering teams. In this role, you will:
- Work closely with the engineers to architect and develop the best technical design and approach
- Instill best practices for software development and documentation, assure designs meet requirements and deliver high-quality work on tight schedules
- Manage departmental resources, staffing and mentoring and enhance and maintain a best-in-class engineering team.
- Prepare technical requirements and software design specifications
- Report on status of development, quality, operations and system performance to management
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field
- 10+ years of industry experience
- Experience with C++, Java, or Java Script
- 3+ years of management experience
- Demonstrated experience delivering innovative products
- Experience starting with product requirements and design & build the software to bring the product to life
- Design and architecture knowledge as well as familiarity with object oriented design patterns
- Engineering process expertise, with a full understanding of Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) principles
- Master’s degree or PhD in computer science, computer engineering, or electrical engineering
- Android experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to executives and non-technical leaders
- Excellent judgment, organizational and problem solving skills
- Superior design and architecture knowledge
- Robust project planning/execution skills including estimating, scheduling and executing on committed schedules
- Proven success in building, motivating and retaining teams of star players
- Deeply technical with a track record of successful delivery as an individual contributor and leader
- Entrepreneurial spirit combined with strong program and product management skills
Lab126 is part of the Amazon.com, Inc. group of companies and is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer-Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation.
Meet Some of Amazon Lab126's Employees
Senior Manager, Hardware Reliability Engineering
Guneet leads the Hardware Reliability Development Team that works on the Kindle, Fire, and Amazon Echo family of products. Guneet's team plays an essential role in making products like Fire tablets robust and reliable so customers can use them for years.
Back to top