Sr Mgr Software Engineering - Alexa Household
Alexa is the Amazon cloud service that powers Echo, the groundbreaking new Amazon device designed around your voice.
This role reports to the leader for the household organization group and will own engineering and product management for how customers use voice to organize their lives.
As a Sr. Manager for Software Development for Alexa's household organization you will be responsible for the invention of disruptive technologies designed to simplify and personalize customers' household experiences and productivity. The problem space spans cloud services, multiple device types that use the cloud platform, learning systems that intelligently interact with customers via voice. It involves challenging customer experience problems as well as developing 3rd party ecosystems. You will be joining a group of a people producing the experience behind some of the most highly rated products in Amazon's history.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Lead teams of software engineers and product managers in the design, development, test, deployment and operation of the household organization capabilities of Alexa.
· Contribute directly to our growth by hiring smart and motivated engineers and managers to establish teams that can deliver swiftly and predictably, adjusting in an agile fashion to deliver what our customers need.
· Be responsible for ensuring correctness of architecture, operational excellence and quality, delivering results on time.
· Work closely with other teams across Alexa and AWS to deliver platform features that require cross-team leadership.
· Mentor a group of people and lead as a manager of managers with a direct handle on the pulse of each employee on your team.
· Regularly dive into architecture, code, test plans, project plans, deployments and operations to drive excellence through your organization.
· Represent your business and operations to the highest level of leadership within Amazon on a weekly basis.
· 10+ years of experience building and managing development teams that design and deliver large distributed systems
· 3+ years’ experience managing managers
· 5+ years of experience managing and effectively operating distributed systems
· Proven experience in delivering software projects using Agile / Scrum methodologies
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering (or equivalent)
· 5 + years of project management experience
· 2+ years experience defining and owning product roadmaps and strategies
· MBA and/or Master’s degree.
· Passion for creating innovative solutions for consumers in households.
· Experience working with systems built using machine learning/artificial intelligence techniques.
· Experience delivering consumer software products and services in a high growth environment.
· Strong verbal and written communication skills with demonstrated experience engaging and influencing senior executives.
· Strong analytical and quantitative skills with the ability to use data and metrics to back up assumptions, recommendations and drive actions.
· Demonstrated ability to understand and discuss technical concepts, manage trade-offs and evaluate opportunistic new ideas with internal and external partners.
· High attention to detail including precise and effective customer communications and proven ability to manage multiple, competing priorities simultaneously.
· Ability to think strategically and execute methodically.
· Ability to work in a fast-paced environment where continuous innovation is desired.
· History of teamwork and willingness to roll up one’s sleeves to get the job done.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
·Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication skills
· Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills
Meet Some of Amazon Lab126's Employees
Senior Manager, Hardware Reliability Engineering
Guneet leads the Hardware Reliability Development Team that works on the Kindle, Fire, and Amazon Echo family of products. Guneet's team plays an essential role in making products like Fire tablets robust and reliable so customers can use them for years.
Back to top