Software QA Manager
Amazon Lab126 is an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronics like the Kindle family of products. Lab126 began in 2004 as a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc. Since then, we have worked to produce innovative devices like our best-selling e-readers and tablets, Fire TV, and Echo. What will you help us create?
Work hard. Have fun. Make history.
In this role you will manage the quality automation team for the Fire TV product line. You will be responsible for the automation framework on which we execute many critical automated tests ranging from functional, to stress, to performance, and more. Automation is an extremely important part of our quality strategy and you will play a critical role in the delivery of high quality, customer delighting products. This team builds tools and automation to validate the function and performance of Fire TV from a user perspective. In essence, the team sets the bar to give customers the snappy TV performance they love.
We are creating and improving products customers love, delivering family entertainment and innovating the way people interact with streaming media players. Join a team of passionate engineers with a commitment to delivering the best customer facing products possible.
The successful manager will be a strong technical leader with a background in building and improving automation structures and running effective teams delivering against a high paced delivery schedule. This manager should be highly customer focused, obsessed with quality improvement, with a proven record of working effectively across functional organizations. He or she must should be a strong hands on manager with good technical experience and the ability to drive against a high level test strategy based on a data driven quality approach. The manager will be a strong quality advocate with a good planning and optimization mindset. In this role you will:
- Manage a team of automation engineers building and maintaining the automation framework and test cases handling the majority of automated testing for the Fire TV product.
- Develop and execute against a solid automation strategy for delivering the highest quality product releases.
- Understand how all elements of the system software ecosystem work together and develop technical quality approaches that fit the overall strategy.
- Be responsible for development of automated test strategies with defined measurable metrics to gauge success.
- Provide clear and concise quality assessments of tested product areas synthesized from full data sets of test results.
- Be an experienced but hands-on manager who can build an organization and ensure it performs.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering or equivalent combination of technical education and experience
- 8+ years of industry experience, including at least 5 years of quality automation and 3 years as a manager
- Experience in at least one programming language C++, Java, or Python
- Experience developing efficient quality automation frameworks and infrastructures
- Skill in debugging architectural problems in automation setups and test results
- Experience to synthesize data and results from various sources to provide a succinct and accurate assessment of product quality.
- Working knowledge of QA concepts and methodology
- Strong people management skills with a proven ability to hire and grow talented, programmatic and user-level personnel
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or similar technical field
- Strong communication skills - both written and oral. Comfortable communicating cross-functionally and across management levels in formal and informal settings
- Strong understanding of system and application performance characteristics
- Performance engineering / system optimization experience on Android
- Experience with Android instrumentation and UI automation
- Experience working closely with development and business teams to communicate problem impacts and to understand business requirements
- Experience in agile development methodologies with continuous integration
- Ability to effectively manage resourcing and area ownership within a distributed and adaptable model.
- Proven track record of driving on time quality delivery of complex releases to the customer through direct and partner teams
- Strong organizational skills, ability to track multiple test executions simultaneously and to be able to synthesize the results
- Experience with consumer electronic devices
- Experience validating high quality consumer facing applications on embedded communications platforms
- Shows creativity and initiative to improve product test coverage and effectiveness
Lab126 is part of the Amazon.com, Inc. group of companies and is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer-Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation
Meet Some of Amazon Lab126's Employees
Senior Manager, Hardware Reliability Engineering
Guneet leads the Hardware Reliability Development Team that works on the Kindle, Fire, and Amazon Echo family of products. Guneet's team plays an essential role in making products like Fire tablets robust and reliable so customers can use them for years.
Back to top