Software Engineer - Multimedia
Amazon Lab126 is an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronics. Lab126 began in 2004 as a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., originally creating the best-selling Kindle family of products. Since then, we have produced groundbreaking devices like Fire tablets, Fire TV and Amazon Echo.
What will you help us create?
Using a combination of open source and proprietary technologies, we build cutting-edge devices for media consumption, whether mobile or in the home. As a strong customer advocate, you will help own media technologies and quality end to end (E2E). You will work with internal and external partners to deliver the best in class devices, and will research new technologies, develop new tools and help define processes to build the media stack of next generation devices.
We are looking for a talented, detail-oriented and enthusiastic Software Development Engineer who is passionate about quality and is enthusiastic about new digital products. The person chosen for this position will have the opportunity to contribute their creative ideas and energy to our group. Duties include research, design, implementation, documentation, and maintenance of new and existing systems and the creation of software services and tools to drive the software development process towards higher quality. As a Software Engineer, you will take part in the implementation and customization of software, working closely with application teams to delivering the media core engine. You will be working on cutting edge technologies in the market today. The development will be from the concept stage to the launch stage and ensuring the highest level of quality for your deliverables.
You will have an enormous opportunity to make a large impact on the design, architecture, and implementation of cutting edge products used every day, by people you know. In this role, you will:
- Be responsible for system architecture and development for new multimedia initiatives and feature development
- Investigate, prototype and deliver new and innovative system solutions
- Establish architectural principles, select design patterns and then mentor team members on their appropriate applications
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field, or 4+ years relevant work experience
- 5+ years of professional experience in software development building production software systems
- 5+ years of experience in Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
- 5+ years of experience in C, C++
- Master's degree in Computer Science
- Experience architecting embedded media consumption features and integrating media functionality into consumer electronics devices
- Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered
- Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
- Experience interfacing with vendors, partners and outside contacts
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Demonstrated ability to mentor other software developers to maintain architectural vision and software quality
- Excellence in technical communication with peers and non-technical cohorts
Meet Some of Amazon Lab126's Employees
Senior Manager, Hardware Reliability Engineering
Guneet leads the Hardware Reliability Development Team that works on the Kindle, Fire, and Amazon Echo family of products. Guneet's team plays an essential role in making products like Fire tablets robust and reliable so customers can use them for years.
Back to top