Software Development Manager
Amazon Lab126 is an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronics. Lab126 began in 2004 as a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., originally creating the best-selling Kindle family of products. Since then, we have produced groundbreaking devices like Fire tablets, Fire TV, and Amazon Echo. What will you help us create?
Work hard. Have fun. Make history.
Alexa is the Amazon cloud service that powers Echo, the groundbreaking new Amazon device designed around your voice. We believe voice is the most natural user interface for interacting with technology across many domains; we are inventing the future.
Work hard. Have fun. Make history.
As a Software Development Manager, you will be responsible for leading a team of engineers in design, development, test, and deployment of a range of products on cloud platforms. A successful candidate will have an established background in developing customer-facing experiences, a strong technical ability, excellent project management skills, great communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment. You will be helping to hire and build your team and systems.You will be a strong leader who can prioritize well, communicate clearly, with a consistent track record of delivery. In this role, you will:
- Be responsible for the overall systems development life cycle of a key product subsystem
- Manage and execute against project plans and delivery commitments
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the engineering team of engineers within an Agile/Scrum environment
- Ensure that design and architecture decisions by your team meet goals and vision of platform
- Manage of departmental resources, staffing, mentoring, and enhancing and maintaining a best-of-class engineering team
- Work closely with the engineers to architect and develop the best technical design and approach
- Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to management
- Responsible for both development and operations of product(s)
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- 7+ years of experience building production software systems
- 3+ years of people management experience
- 3+ years of experience working with products and services running in cloud.
- 3+ years of OO programming experience.
- Master’s degree
- A deep understanding of software development in a team, and a track record of shipping software on time
- The ability to take raw product requirements and develop software architectures and designs to bring them to life
- Programming skills with variety of modern programming languages (Java, C/C++, NodeJS, Python) and open-source technologies/frameworks (Linux, busy box, Spring, Guice)
- Good understanding of various JAVA open source libraries knowing what works and what doesn’t and why.
- Excellence in technical communication with peers and non-technical colleagues
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- A strong track record of project delivery for large, cross-functional, projects and products that can scale.
- Strong business and technical vision
- Deep hands-on technical expertise. Deep understanding of JVM performance tuning and profiling.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Meet Some of Amazon Lab126's Employees
Senior Manager, Hardware Reliability Engineering
Guneet leads the Hardware Reliability Development Team that works on the Kindle, Fire, and Amazon Echo family of products. Guneet's team plays an essential role in making products like Fire tablets robust and reliable so customers can use them for years.
Back to top