Software Development Manager
The Amazon Devices team designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronics, including the best-selling Kindle family of products. We have also produced groundbreaking devices like Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Dash, and Amazon Echo.
What will you help us create?
Want to change the way millions of people communicate, shop, and have fun? Want to help Amazon bring products like Fire tablets, Fire TV and Kindle e-readers to market?
The FireOS team is looking for a passionate, results-oriented, inventive software manager to lead an embedded software development team. The candidate thrives in a fast-paced environment, understands embedded development and will help us with the board bring up, development, and integration activities.
The Software Development Manager will provide technical leadership and management for a development team. This hands-on position requires broad engineering competence and in-depth technical knowledge of embedded application software development, as well as demonstrated experience successfully planning, organizing, and conducting software development projects in a dynamic environment.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about simple and elegant software solutions and focus on improving performance. The leader we are looking for will bring proven experience building, managing and mentoring engineering teams.
- Work closely with the engineers to architect and develop the best technical design and approach.
- Instill best practices for software development and documentation, assure designs meet requirements, and deliver high-quality work on tight schedules.
- Management of departmental resources, staffing, mentoring, and enhancing and maintaining a best-in-class engineering team.
- Maintaining and improving existing software.
- Preparation of technical requirements and software design specifications.
- Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to management.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline.
- 7+ years of relevant engineering experience.
- 3+ years people management experience.
- 3+ years of development expereince in BSP, RTOS, Linux Kernel and drivers.
- Deep hands-on technical expertise.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong business and technical vision.
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- A deep understanding of software development in a team, and a track record of shipping software on time.
- Exceptional customer relationship skills including the ability to discover the true requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and lead engineering efforts to meet aggressive timelines with optimal solutions.
- Professional traits that are not unique to this position, but necessary for Amazon leaders:
- Exhibits excellent judgment.
- Hires and develops great people.
- Has relentlessly high standards (is never satisfied with the status quo)
- Is able to dive deep and is never out of touch with the details of the business or the technology.
- Expects and requires innovation of her/his team.
- Has passion and convictions and the innate ability to inspire passion in others.
- Strong results orientation.
- Thinks big.
Meet Some of Amazon Lab126's Employees
Senior Manager, Hardware Reliability Engineering
Guneet leads the Hardware Reliability Development Team that works on the Kindle, Fire, and Amazon Echo family of products. Guneet's team plays an essential role in making products like Fire tablets robust and reliable so customers can use them for years.
Back to top