Software Development Manager
Amazon Lab126 is an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronics. Lab126 began in 2004 as a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., originally creating the best-selling Kindle family of products. Since then, we have produced groundbreaking devices like Fire tablets, Fire TV, and Amazon Echo. What will you help us create?
Are you passionate about delivering products that delight our customers? Are you equally comfortable digging into business requirements as you are drilling into architecture and design with development teams? Can you drive large cross-team projects that deliver cutting edge hardware, software and services? If your answer to these questions is yes, then you need to consider joining the Amazon Digital Devices team!
The Design Technologies team is responsible for the internal tools and processes used to design Amazon's Digital Device products, including engineering software tools, product data management and design simulation & automation.
We are seeking a Technical Program Manager to be responsible for for scoping and delivering large projects end-to-end. Responsibilities include defining business and systems requirements from internal and external customers, writing specifications, driving project schedules from design to release, and managing the production launch. You will lead and coordinate design/implementation efforts between internal teams and outside merchants and vendors to develop optimal solutions. You will be expected to make appropriate tradeoffs to optimize time-to-market, clearly communicate goals, roles, responsibilities, and desired outcomes to internal cross-functional and remote project teams.
The right candidate will possess program management background, will have demonstrated experience leading medium to large projects, and will have a well-rounded technical background in current application development technologies. You must be able to thrive and succeed in an entrepreneurial environment, and not be hindered by ambiguity or competing priorities. This means you are not only able to develop and drive high-level strategic initiatives, but can also roll up your sleeves, dig in and get the job done.
As a Technical Program Manager, you will anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, anticipate and make tradeoffs, and balance the business needs versus technical constraints. An ability to take large, complex projects and break them down into manageable pieces, develop functional specifications, then deliver them in a successful and timely manner is expected. Maturity, high judgment, negotiation skills, ability to influence, analytical talent and leadership are essential to success in this role.
- Bachelor’s degree with a technical discipline, or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of relevant work experience in technical program / project management in a consumer electronics environment
- Experience defining projects, collecting requirements, writing detailed functional and test specifications, coordinating efforts to scope, schedule, and deploy new features sets
- Experience analyzing cost/benefit of feature selection
- Demonstrable experience in project management, and coordinating / driving release schedules
- Master’s or advanced technical degree
- Creative leader with superior analytical abilities
- Excellent technical, problem-solving and communication skills
- Cross-team coordination and executive presentation skills are essential
- Product development (including C++, Java, messaging protocols, and Web Services) and service-oriented architecture experience strongly desired.
- Knowledge of hardware development process and lifecycle
Lab126 is part of the Amazon.com, Inc. group of companies and is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Meet Some of Amazon Lab126's Employees
Senior Manager, Hardware Reliability Engineering
Guneet leads the Hardware Reliability Development Team that works on the Kindle, Fire, and Amazon Echo family of products. Guneet's team plays an essential role in making products like Fire tablets robust and reliable so customers can use them for years.
Back to top