Senior Voice UX Designer - Alexa
We are a team working on audio, speech and language solutions that revolutionize how customers interact with Amazon’s products and services, like Amazon Echo, Amazon Fire TV and Amazon Dash. Our mission is to push the envelope in automatic speech recognition (ASR), natural language understanding (NLU), and audio signal processing in order to provide the best possible experience for our customers.
As a Senior Voice UX Designer, you will lead, define, and drive spoken language and multimodal interfaces for Amazon.com. You must be an innovator, since you will be expected to create solutions for exciting and ambitious ideas for which no interaction paradigm currently exists. You must be extremely proactive, because you will regularly find yourself in uncharted territory where the key to your success will be to get ahead of the curve. You must be a collaborator, and will be working side-by-side with engineers to bring your designs to life. You must be a pragmatic visionary who can translate business needs into a lead-edge customer-focused solution. And most important, you must excel at conceptualizing spoken and multimodal experiences in the abstract and driving that vision into solid design deliverables.
We are looking for a designer who can:
- Produce user flows, wireframes, prototypes, and rigorous user interface specifications
- Confidently defend design rationale used to create solutions in frequent executive-level design reviews
- Draw on depth of experience, but initiate UX research and testing efforts when necessary
- Conduct analyses of real usage data to inform UX optimization efforts
- Drive root cause analyses to respond to UX performance issues
- Speak authoritatively on concepts of spoken interaction design in daily iterations with product managers, engineers, and testers
- Start simple while not losing sight of the long-term vision
- Thrive in a nimble, start-up like environment
- Communicate clearly and think quickly
- 7+ years of professional experience as an interactive designer/user experience designer; expertise in human-computer interaction
- Recent experience with voice or multimodal speech interfaces
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent professional experience.
- User experience design skill set including data-driven analytics capabilities, and a working understanding of speech and language technologies
- Experience working cross-team and synthesize feedback and input from product management, engineering, and marketing
- Professional portfolio of voice design that demonstrates creativity, problem-solving, and ability to ship
- Experience presenting to and effectively advising senior management
- Degree in design or related fields preferred
- Fluency in written English
- Ability to prototype voice user experiences with readily available tools
- Ability to write tools to determine patterns in usage data
- Experience with agile/scrum
- Experience designing mobile web, and/or on-device mobile applications
- An informed set of core values regarding user experience, technology, and business communication and the ability to present them with eloquence and concision.
- Experience shipping innovative, successful consumer voice products
- Unwavering attention to detail with an acute awareness that everything counts
- Relentless desire for innovation, balanced with business needs, and customer expectations
- Committed to learning and expanding professional and technical knowledge.
- Background in script writing, creative writing, or game design is a plus
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Female/Minority/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation
Meet Some of Amazon Lab126's Employees
Senior Manager, Hardware Reliability Engineering
Guneet leads the Hardware Reliability Development Team that works on the Kindle, Fire, and Amazon Echo family of products. Guneet's team plays an essential role in making products like Fire tablets robust and reliable so customers can use them for years.
Back to top