Senior Software Development Engineer – Accessibility
Amazon Lab126 is an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronics. Lab126 began in 2004 as a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., originally creating the best-selling Kindle family of products. Since then, we have produced groundbreaking devices like Fire tablets, Fire TV and Amazon Echo. What will you help us create?
As a Senior Software Development Engineer – Accessibility, you will engage with an experienced cross-disciplinary staff to conceive and design innovative consumer products, working to make Amazon products accessible to people with disabilities. You must be responsive, flexible and able to succeed within an open collaborative peer environment. You will work closely with the hardware, ops, user-space and QA teams. You must be responsive, flexible and able to succeed within an open and collaborative peer environment.
As a Senior Software Development Engineer – Accessibility, you will provide technical leadership and contribute to the definition, development, integration, test, documentation and support of accessible core technologies in the product framework. This hands-on position requires broad engineering competence and in-depth technical knowledge of embedded software development, as well as demonstrated experience successfully planning, organizing, and conducting software development projects in a dynamic environment. In this role, you will:
- Be responsible for the architecture of software solutions, determining current limitations and compatibilities between subsystems, selection of new concepts and methodology, and development of major routines and utilities
- Maintain and improve existing software
- Work closely with application teams and deliver best core engines at the framework. Prepare technical requirements and software design specifications
- Instill best practices for software development and documentation, assure designs meet requirements, and deliver high-quality work on tight schedules
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- 7+ years of software development engineering experience, with at least two years’ experience developing embedded applications
- 7+ years of Embedded Java framework or Android framework experience (Java 2 Mobile Edition, CDC, PBP).
- 5+ years of experience with one or more accessibility frameworks (Android, Java,, iOS, Web)
- Design and architecture knowledge, as well as familiarity with object oriented design patterns
- Engineering process experience with the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) principle
- Master’s degree
- Experience in developing assistive technologies
- Robust project planning/execution skills including estimating, scheduling, and executing on committed schedules
- Excellent judgment, organizational, and problem-solving skills
- Exceptional interpersonal communication skill, including verbal, written, listening and customer relationships
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment
- Embedded Linux and X windows experience
Meet Some of Amazon Lab126's Employees
Senior Manager, Hardware Reliability Engineering
Guneet leads the Hardware Reliability Development Team that works on the Kindle, Fire, and Amazon Echo family of products. Guneet's team plays an essential role in making products like Fire tablets robust and reliable so customers can use them for years.
Back to top