Senior Product Design Engineer
Amazon Lab126 is an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronics. Lab126 began in 2004 as a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., originally creating the best-selling Kindle family of products. Since then, we have produced groundbreaking devices like Fire tablets, Fire TV and Amazon Echo. What will you help us create?
You will be working with a unique and gifted team developing exciting products for consumers. The team is a multidisciplinary group of engineers and scientists engaged in a fast paced mission to deliver the new products. The team faces a challenging task of balancing cost, schedule, and performance requirements. You should be comfortable collaborating in a fast-paced and often uncertain environment, and contributing to innovative solutions, while demonstrating leadership, technical competence, and meticulousness.
As a Senior Product Design Engineer, you will be responsible for the mechanical design, development and quality of products. You will take responsibility for leading project teams, technical problem solving, creatively meeting product objectives, at times delegating tasks to achieve your objectives and mentoring junior engineers. You will demonstrate cross-functional resource interaction to accomplish your goals. You will play a role in defining processes and methods to improve the productivity of the entire team. You will identify and initiate investigations of production technologies, prototype and test solutions for product features, and design and validate production designs that deliver an exceptional user experience.
You will demonstrate a strong working knowledge of mechanical systems, with expertise in systems integration; the desire to learn from new challenges and the problem solving and communication skills to work within a highly interactive and experienced team. Candidates must show a hands-on passion for their work and be able to communicate their ideas and concepts both verbally and visually. Candidates must demonstrate an ability to integrate feedback and to respond quickly to changing contexts and work environments. In this role, you will:
- Prototype and develop dynamic mechanical systems
- Feature design and testing to meet program objective
- Research into materials and component technologies to scope development opportunities
- Test failure analysis and solution validation to complete successful product development
- Provide detailed part design and product documentation
- Conduct field failure analysis and solution evaluation for production product issues
- Support positive team interactions to accomplish program objectives
- Provide cross-functional program integration support to ensure team success
- Lead project teams to timely delivery of products
- Manage schedules and milestones
- Manage interaction with overseas resources
- Apply technical expertise to problem solving throughout product lifecycle
- Mentor junior engineers in good product design practice
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field
- 7+ years of experience in design engineering
- Experience in design, prototyping and debugging dynamic mechanical systems
- Experience in product validation (Shock/Drop, Cycle Testing, Environmental Testing)
- 5+ years Experience with 3D CAD skills, ProEngineer or equivalent
- Master’s degree
- Creo Systems knowledge, basic FEA and/or Experience with Matlab or other engineering tools for modeling dynamic systems.
- Electrical Design experience including design, and bring-up of simple PCBA.
- Familiarity with digital control integration.
- Demonstrated design experience integrating component modules (I/O, Displays, Batteries, PCBs, etc.)
- Demonstrated knowledge of tooling and materials process validation (SPC, Cp, CpK)
- Demonstrated design experience with high volume/high finish consumer electronics enclosure materials
- Analytic problem solving skills, including knowledge of 8D, Six Sigma, DOE or similar disciplines
- Demonstrated leadership and mentoring skills
- This position will require international travel
Lab126 is part of the Amazon.com, Inc. group of companies and is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer-Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation.
Meet Some of Amazon Lab126's Employees
Senior Manager, Hardware Reliability Engineering
Guneet leads the Hardware Reliability Development Team that works on the Kindle, Fire, and Amazon Echo family of products. Guneet's team plays an essential role in making products like Fire tablets robust and reliable so customers can use them for years.
Back to top