Product Design Engineer
Amazon Lab126 is an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronics. Lab126 began in 2004 as a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., originally creating the best-selling Kindle family of products. Since then, we have produced groundbreaking devices like Fire tablets, Fire TV and Amazon Echo. What will you help us create?
As a Product Design Engineer, you will be responsible for the mechanical design, development and quality of products. You will contribute as a senior engineer supporting multiple enclosure teams. You will take responsibility for proactively identifying areas where designs require unusual technical depth and owning the technical deep dive required. You will gather the requirements, conceptualize and analyze design options and work with project teams to develop engineered solutions that creatively meet the product objectives. You will often delegate tasks to achieve your objectives, lead by influencing and mentor more junior engineers. You will work closely with other cross functional teams to accomplish your goals. You will lead in defining processes and methods to improve the productivity and technical ability of multiple teams. You will identify and initiate investigations of production technologies, prototype and test solutions for product features, and design and validate production designs that deliver an exceptional user experience.
You will demonstrate a strong working knowledge of mechanical systems (both design and analysis), with expertise in systems integration; the desire to learn from new challenges and the problem solving and communication skills to work within a highly interactive and experienced team. Candidates must show a hands-on passion for their work and be able to communicate their ideas and concepts both verbally and visually. A successful candidate will demonstrate excellent communication and interpersonal skills. They will derive satisfaction from helping others solve tough technical problems as well as solving those problems themselves. Candidates must demonstrate an ability to integrate feedback and to respond quickly to changing contexts and work environments. In this role, you will:
- Research into materials and component technologies to scope development opportunities
- Feature design and testing to meet program objective
- Test failure analysis and solution validation to complete successful product development
- Provide detailed part design and product documentation
- Field failure analysis and solution evaluation for production product issues
- Support positive team interactions to accomplish program objectives
- Provide cross-functional program integration support to ensure team success
- Lead in technical deep dives with project teams to ensure timely delivery of products
- Manage schedules and milestones
- Manage interaction with overseas resources
- Apply technical expertise to problem solving throughout product lifecycle
- Create processes and methods to enable technical deep dives earlier in the product lifecycle
- Mentor junior engineers in good product design practice
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field
- 3+ years of experience in complex consumer or industrial products
- 3+ years of experience in taking products through validation (Shock/Drop, Cycle Testing, Environmental Testing) and into volume production
- 3+ years of experience with 3D CAD skills, ProEngineer
- Master’s degree
- Demonstrated knowledge of tooling and materials process validation (SPC, Cp, CpK)
- Demonstrated design experience with high volume/high finish consumer electronics enclosure materials
- Demonstrated design experience integrating component modules (I/O, Displays, Batteries, PCBs, etc.)
- Analytic problem solving skills, including knowledge of 8D, Six Sigma, DOE or similar disciplines. Knowledge of simulation tools.
- Demonstrated leadership and mentoring skills
Lab126 is part of the Amazon.com, Inc. group of companies and is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Meet Some of Amazon Lab126's Employees
Senior Manager, Hardware Reliability Engineering
Guneet leads the Hardware Reliability Development Team that works on the Kindle, Fire, and Amazon Echo family of products. Guneet's team plays an essential role in making products like Fire tablets robust and reliable so customers can use them for years.
Back to top