HW Technical Program Manager
Amazon Web Services (AWS) Hardware Engineering is a fast growing and leading-edge research and development team that creates enterprise compute and storage server designs for our innovative web service and e-commerce technology platforms. Our designs are industry-leading in terms of performance, frugality and operational excellence, and are critical to the success of the AWS business and the hundreds of thousands of customers who use utility computing today. We are seeking an experienced Technical Program Manager (TPM) to define and build the next generation of our cloud platforms. Our success depends on our world-class server infrastructure; we’re handling massive scale and rapid integration of emergent technologies.
The ideal TPM candidate will be an experienced program manager who is skilled in managing server hardware product development teams across several geographic regions using a variety of suppliers. The successful candidate will be an innovative self-starter and leader. The candidate will be familiar with the cloud computing industry and AWS offerings and will be passionate about providing the best possible customer experience at the best cost. The candidate will have an obsession with data and precise analysis and will use these as inputs to make decisions.
What you will do: As a TPM on the Server Hardware Engineering team you will be responsible for leading multiple simultaneous hardware product development programs in a highly cross-functional environment which includes internal customers, external vendors and technology partners. You’ll provide leadership in the application of new technologies to large scale server deployments in a continuous effort to deliver a world-class customer experience at a world-class cost point. This is a fast-paced, intellectually challenging position, and you’ll work with thought leaders in multiple technology areas. You’ll have relentlessly high standards for yourself and everyone you work with, and you’ll be constantly looking for ways to improve your product’s performance, quality and cost. Using data and key metrics, you will also drive and measure process improvements that enhance our operational effectiveness. You will work independently in a dynamic, challenging, and fast-changing organization. We’re changing an industry, and we need individuals who are ready for this challenge and who want to reach beyond what is possible today.
Why it matters: Amazon has thousands of unique services, both big and small that power the Retail website (Amazon.com), Amazon Web Services, Kindle, Amazon Instant Video and more. These services run on hardware around the world. We continually need to deploy newer, innovative, and more efficient and cost effective hardware. Your work will drive efficiency and significant cost savings while improving the performance and reliability of our websites and services. Your work will touch development teams and customers around the world.
Why you will love it: You will have exposure to teams and leaders across the entire company. You will be a part of a leading edge research and development team. You will see many aspects of the Amazon business. You will have a direct impact on our bottom line and the ability to improve things for our developers. You will be part of a growing, fast paced, and fun team. You will have ownership and responsibility for defining and executing processes that deliver both savings and productivity for Amazon.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or related field
- 8+ years of server industry experience
- Strong background in project/program management
- Experienced in delivering products against plan in a fast-paced, multi-disciplined, distributed-responsibility and often ambiguous environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong technical and problem solving skills
- Confident leader who can prioritize and analyze tradeoffs, communicate clearly and compellingly and effectively influence internally and externally, across organization boundaries. Able to independently influence and resolve conflicts with others
- Inquisitive with technical and business skills to understand, test, and challenge while working harmoniously with the business and technology owners
- Drive effective teamwork, communication, collaboration and commitment across multiple disparate groups with competing priorities
- Experienced in gathering requirements and developing server specifications
- Experienced in compute and storage server architecture and design for large scale applications.
- Demonstrated ability to engage technology providers in the industry to track and apply emerging technologies to innovative server designs
- Ability to apply critical thinking in complex situations; experience working in cross functional groups including mechanical Engineering, test, reliability, failure analysis.
- A strong track record of executing in dynamic and fast-paced environments. Highly experienced with data-driven decision making
- Cross-organizational communication – comfortable evangelizing ideas and concerns clearly and persuasively, in both verbal and written forms
- Comfortable working on multiple programs at once
- MBA or Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or related field
- Experience in working with overseas CM/OEM/ODM vendors in product development
- Server validation and issue root cause experience
- Knowledge of datacenter infrastructure constraints including networking, power, space, and cooling
- Virtualization technology
- Linux experience
Meet Some of Amazon Lab126's Employees
Senior Manager, Hardware Reliability Engineering
Guneet leads the Hardware Reliability Development Team that works on the Kindle, Fire, and Amazon Echo family of products. Guneet's team plays an essential role in making products like Fire tablets robust and reliable so customers can use them for years.
Back to top