Hardware Development Manager
Amazon Web Services (AWS) Hardware Engineering is a fast-growing and leading-edge research and development unit that designs, engineers and qualifies cloud-optimized compute and storage enterprise products. Our servers are industry-leading in innovation and operational excellence, and are critical to the success of the AWS service owners and the more than one million customers who use AWS today. Our engineers solve challenging technology problems, and build architecturally sound, high-quality servers and components to enable AWS to realize critical business strategies. As part of this, the Hardware Qualification team owns the total hardware validation testing cycle and ensures the high expectations of our cloud customers are met.
The team is currently seeking a technically-savvy manager to join us in developing the next technological step on our journey of building the Amazon cloud. As a Hardware Quality Assurance (QA) Manager, you will find that we have some unique and challenging requirements that need creative solutions and the development of non-trivial tools and processes. You should be an experienced manager who enjoys using data and metrics to drive the creation of processes, and is relentless in setting goals and seeking measured improvement. You will be as passionate about hiring and developing your team as you are in ensuring world-class quality of our hardware.
Why it matters:
The public cloud IT infrastructure market is growing at a remarkable rate and is seeing rapid adoption from companies of all sizes. The quality of one of the largest server fleets in the world starts here. We directly improve the business outcomes of more than a million customers who depend on AWS.
Why You’ll Love it:
You'll be part of an incredibly strong and deep team in a fast-paced, start-up like environment. This is an opportunity to work at the forefront of cloud evolution, enabling and extending our distributed systems on a massive scale across multiple data centers, multiple countries and millions of customers.
What You Will Do:
- Manage and oversee the work assignments and priorities for a direct team of QA Engineers working in a Lab environment.
- Work closely with an internal inter-disciplinary team and with outside partners to drive key aspects of QA definition, execution and test.
- Create an environment of continuous improvement and world-class efficiency.
- Develop enhancements to our test capability working in concert with the related internal QA teams.
- Have a direct hand in guiding and reporting on test planning to serve the various needs of the business.
- Directly participate in Test Plan creation, Test Plan reviews, and Test Case reviews.
- Analyze and drive needed enhancements required in the test automation frameworks to keep improving test efficiency and accuracy.
- Identify and prioritize critical test gaps and develop plans to address them with the team.
- Maintain a closed-loop corrective action process around test escapes downstream from your processes.
- Meet with customers periodically to keep information flow high.
- Function as a subject matter expert on a variety of technologies by providing up-to-date, accurate information to colleagues and management.
- BS/MS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related field
- 10+ years of Server HW-related QA testing experience, minimally including functional, performance, and data-integrity testing
- 5+ years of Management experience over a development or qualification team, preferably in the Enterprise space
- Expertise in development and use of test automation frameworks
- Basic development knowledge in one or more Linux scripting languages (bash, ksh, csh, etc.) and/or other languages such as Python or Perl
- Basic Linux deployment and operational knowledge
- Experienced in Integration and System-level testing
- Understanding of AWS technologies (aws.amazon.com)
- Superb project management and problem analysis skills
- Able to deliver results against metrics and improve operational efficiency
- A track record of operating in a fast-paced, often ambiguous environment
- Ability to run multiple simultaneous qualification programs in a highly cross-functional environment while balancing the needs of internal customers with external vendors and technology partners
- Ability to drive processes that enhance operational workflow and provide positive customer impact
- Familiar with a variety of test equipment and methodologies
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Relentless passion for frugality and out-of-the-box analysis
- Extensive product validation experience with standard server architectures and components such as CPU, GPU, Memory, HDD, SSD, NVMe, Networking, BMC, BIOS, and related firmware
- Hands-on experience in testing Linux-based servers
- Excellent understanding of QA tool development chains and environments
- Expertise writing code for Linux and Hypervisor operating systems
- Demonstrated creativity and initiative to improve product test coverage and effectiveness
- Highly methodical test discipline, applicable to all server sub-components
- Demonstrated expertise in black box and grey box testing methodologies
- Extensive experience with standard QA and development tools, and the ability to operate within short release cycles
- Expertise in comparing capabilities across various test automation framework tools
- Expert development software engineering capability
- Ability to think cross functionally, influencing change within a multi-team environment
- Advanced Project Management or Program Management Certification, such as PMP certification
- Understanding of server interfaces (Memory Bus, PCIe Bus, PMBus, I2C, etc.) storage protocols (SAS, SATA, NAS, SAN, etc.), standard internet protocols (Ethernet, ARP, IP, ICMP, UDP, TCP, SSL, DNS, HTTP, etc.)
Meet Some of Amazon Lab126's Employees
Senior Manager, Hardware Reliability Engineering
Guneet leads the Hardware Reliability Development Team that works on the Kindle, Fire, and Amazon Echo family of products. Guneet's team plays an essential role in making products like Fire tablets robust and reliable so customers can use them for years.
Back to top