Firmware Development Manager
Amazon Lab126 is an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronics. Lab126 began in 2004 as a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., originally creating the best-selling Kindle family of products. Since then, we have produced groundbreaking devices like Fire tablets, Fire TV and Amazon Echo. What will you help us create?
As a Firmware Development Manager, you will be responsible for leading a team of firmware engineers responsible for the hardware drivers, RTOS, security frameworks and applications on embedded devices. In this position you will partner with product managers, project managers, AWS software managers and other internal resources. A successful candidate will have an established background with strong technical ability, excellent project management skills, great communication skills and motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment.
The Firmware Development Manager will provide technical leadership and management for an embedded software team, work closely with architecture teams and establish technical direction for the platform. This hands-on position requires broad engineering competence and in-depth technical knowledge of embedded software development, as well as demonstrated experience successfully planning, organizing and conducting software development projects in a dynamic environment.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about simple and elegant software solutions and focus on improving performance. The leader we are looking for will bring proven experience building, managing and mentoring engineering teams. In this role, you will:
- Work closely with the engineers to architect and develop the best technical design and approach
- Instill best practices for software development and documentation, assure designs meet requirements and deliver high-quality work on tight schedules
- Manage departmental resources, staffing and mentoring and enhance and maintain a best-in-class engineering team.
- Maintain and improve existing software
- Prepare technical requirements and software design specifications
Report on status of development, quality, operations and system performance to management
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering or electrical engineering
- 7+ years of industry experience, preferably in Embedded Linux
- 3+ years of management experience
- Experience delivering innovative products
- Master’s degree or PhD in computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering
- Embedded RTOS experience
- Engineering process expertise, with a full understanding of Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) principles
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to executives and non-technical leaders
- Excellent judgment, organizational and problem solving skills
- Superior design and architecture knowledge
- Robust project planning/execution skills including estimating, scheduling and executing on committed schedules
- Proven success in building, motivating and retaining teams of star players
- Deeply technical with a track record of successful delivery as an individual contributor and leader
- Entrepreneurial spirit combined with strong program and product management skills
Lab126 is part of the Amazon.com, Inc. group of companies and is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer-Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation.
Meet Some of Amazon Lab126's Employees
Senior Manager, Hardware Reliability Engineering
Guneet leads the Hardware Reliability Development Team that works on the Kindle, Fire, and Amazon Echo family of products. Guneet's team plays an essential role in making products like Fire tablets robust and reliable so customers can use them for years.
Back to top