Design Analysis Engineer
Amazon Lab126 is an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronics. Lab126 began in 2004 as a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., originally creating the best-selling Kindle family of products. Since then, we have produced groundbreaking devices like Fire tablets, Fire TV and Amazon Echo. What will you help us create?
As a Design Analysis Engineer, you will be responsible for bringing new product designs through to manufacturing. Thermal and structural engineering contributes unique, in-depth technical knowledge to solve complex engineering problems in concert with multi-disciplinary teams including Industrial Design, Hardware Engineering, and Operations.
You will work closely with multi-disciplinary groups including Product Design, Industrial Design, Hardware Engineering, and Operations, to drive key aspects of engineering of consumer electronics products. In this role, you will:
- Perform analysis and testing of complex electronic assemblies using advanced simulation and experimentation tools and techniques
- Develop, analyze and test thermal, acoustic and structural solutions; from concept design, feature development, product architecture, through system validation
- Support creative developments through application of analysis and testing of complex electronic assemblies using advanced simulation and experimentation tools and techniques
- Use simulation tools like Abaqus for analysis and design of products
- Validate design modifications using simulation and actual prototypes
- Establish noise thresholds for usability and compliance requirements
- Determine and validate structural performance under use and test conditions
- Have strong knowledge of various materials such as heat spreaders solutions to resolve thermal issues, damping materials for noise and vibration suppression
- Use various data acquisition systems with thermocouples, accelerometers, strain gauges and IR cameras
- Collaborate as part of the device team to iterate and optimize design parameters of enclosures and structural parts to establish and deliver project performance objectives
- Design and execute tests using statistical tools to validate analytical models, identify risks and assess design margins
- Create and present analytical and experimental results
- Develop and apply design guidelines based on project results
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or related field
- 3+ years of experience using structural simulation software in consumer electronics
- Experience in geometric tolerances and statistical tolerance analysis techniques
- Experience in manufacturing processes such as injection molding, sheet metal forming and die casting, Design for Manufacturability (DFM) and Design for Assembly (DFA)
- Experience using statistical analysis to solve engineering and manufacturing issues
- Master’s or PhD degree
This position may require International travel.
Lab126 is part of the Amazon.com, Inc. group of companies and is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer-Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation
Meet Some of Amazon Lab126's Employees
Senior Manager, Hardware Reliability Engineering
Guneet leads the Hardware Reliability Development Team that works on the Kindle, Fire, and Amazon Echo family of products. Guneet's team plays an essential role in making products like Fire tablets robust and reliable so customers can use them for years.
Back to top